I Forge Iron

Question on this anvil

I'm in the process of searching for an anvil and i came across this, my hope is that you guys can help me out with whether its worth the price of $260

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/091207/420r8/70741n1_20.jpeg

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/091207/421r1/7559dn3_20.jpeg

It comes with the stand as well

Also if this doesn't work i found a 75lbs cast steel would that work?

Thanks in advance

edit*

I sent an email asking about the make

as for the weight he said it was just over a hundred pounds

Edited by Minion

#1 go to the user control panel and add your location.

#2 location will effect price

#3 hard to tell how big it is by the photos. Weight?

#4 stand looks a little iffy to me the way it is currently set up.

#5 who made it?

#6 do a forum search for anvil prices-there was a whole thread on this recently.

#7 Welcome to IFI

#8 I have paid around $1 per pound for all of my anvils.

#9 Cast steel anvils are OK, again do a search for a recent thread on this.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

this is the one im talking about

75 lb anvil | Vises,anvil&accessories | Fabrication Equipment | Shop & Garage | Princess Auto

says its cast steel but il have to go and check the size of the hardy

Ok i just got an email back from the guy

Actual weight of the anvil alone is 96 pounds.

The markings are hard to read so I used a pencil & paper for an outline. There appears to be a set of letters as follows;

H ?? JKL?
Underneath the letters there is a symbol comprising at least and X with an arrow through the middle running from right to left. There is more to this mark that I could not clearly decipher.

Underneath the above there is a number 14.

I would be very leary of that "cast steel" anvil from the auto supply. It looks a lot like the cast iron anvils that are normally seen on Ebay and Harbor Freight. This doesn't mean much to a guy in a garage that is using an anvil to beat cold stuff straight, but it makes a world of difference if you are using it to forge.

The fact is, there are no "good deals" on anvils in the retail market. New cheap anvils are cheap anvils. Good new anvils cost a lot of money. Good old anvils cost a lot of money on Ebay and other such markets. The only way to get a really good deal is to beat the bushes... esatate sales, farm sales, (I've found 'em at garage sales), ads, word of mouth, etc. You have to either invest your money or your time... or both... or get really lucky.

I worked a deal on a "hardy only" Mousehole for over a year. I ended up paying $35 for it. :cool:

The one for $260 is a real anvil not a fake look alike made of recycled cast iron of the poorest quality. One is a quality forged anvil and the other a cheap knock off made in China by the thousands to dupe uneducated buyers. Now, I don't know if $260 is a good price in Canada or not but from the picture it looks like a good anvil, but what can I tell from out here in Canada South, Arizona, from a picture. Does it ring or does it not, by that does it sound cracked? There are few chips on the edge of the hard face and some dings on the horn but they are minor. Somebody will tell you to weld them up and grind them smooth, don't do it, just leave the grinder alone and start working it if you decide to buy it. It's a good looking forging anvil not a show piece, work it, don't play with it, it's a tool.

I fully intend to use as such, but as for the edge of the anvil i could easily make or get a anvil block and use that could i not?

You can make a hardie tool if you need a crisp edge to work on. The real anvil has a varly bad rollover on the near edge--(horn to your left and edge close to you is the near edge)
May want to dress that some but other than that use as is.

Dressing an anvil is nearly never done by anybody other than the owner. You take your angle grinder and load up an abrasive grinding wheel and remove material carefully.

anvilfire.com Blacksmithing FAQs Anvils Radius

If it was a new anvil, you would follow the above guidelines, but since this is a well used anvil then you are going to have to compromise to avoid removing excessive amounts of valuable tool steel from the face of the anvil.

If you are a member of a blacksmith organization, ask there and there will likely be people willing to help and coach. Be clear about the scope of the project and do not let them talk you into dressing all the edges and face!

Phil

I would say that $260 for that anvil is a little high for your area, considering the condition tha anvil is in.

There is a 330 pound Mousehole in very good condtion for sale in Calgary right now. It might be out of your price range, but it could possibly be the last anvil you ever buy, even if you are serious with your smithing.

Having an anvil professionally repaired is usually more than the cost of buying a good one. At the last anvil repair workshop we held *1* anvil took 6 hours of a professional weldor's time, pounds of rod and lots of abrasives to get back to an "as new" face. (and this weldor is a blacksmith and teaches welding so he did it right!) The repair was to fix where a machinist had milled the face clean and sharp and too thin to use as an anvil anymore.

Other than knowing the brand of the anvil, it's hard to tell. If the brand is unidentified, and the horn is not a cone, but more duck billed or triangular, it's a good bet that its cast iron. Chilled cast iron at best, which is a reasonable face. If the horn and such is perfect, then its still a guess without markings or "destructive" test methods that may include grinding, filing, drilling, or breaking. There are a large number of "no name" anvils out there and a real, but small, percentage are good quality.

If you know the brand, then looking it up can take a few minutes and you can get a better answer.

Phil

75 lb anvil | Vises,anvil&accessories | Fabrication Equipment | Shop & Garage | Princess Auto
this one? dunno. I'd do more flea marketing and save the $130 for a known brand anvil and get a lump of scrap plate steel to work on till then. If taking a gamble on this anvil is worth it to you, then do a rebound drop test on it and report your findings.

Since you may live near a store, get a ball bearing and test before you buy. Most ASO's are 10% according to the article. 50% rebound can be called a real anvil.
anvilfire.com Blacksmithing FAQs Anvils Hardness

Phil