I Forge Iron

What type of forge is this and what would you pay for it?

They will run anywhere from $200-500. They are varly common on eBay at this price with most going for $350. This one looks in good shape. You are definitely limited on what you can do with one but for demos they are great. People enjoy the looks and mechanics of how it works and most of what you do at a demo can be done with this type of forge. You may not want it for you primary forge at home. Let us know how you come out.

Well I'm not sure as to name brand, but it seems to be in good condition. Can't really tell very well, but it looks to me that it needs a tuyere!
Other than that looks great!

I've given $150 for ones that needed new legs and firepots. So I'd say if you could get it for $150 then that would be good! Personally I wouldn't give any more than $200. The reason is, I can buy the steel and make one for that or get a fixer upper. However, if you do not have the time or equipment to do that, $300 wouldn't be too awfull bad. If I was placed in that position, (no time or tools to build one) I would probably pay $300.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Sometimes when folks have these things all painted up fancy I often wonder what they're trying to hide, cracks, sever pitting, just what. Look it over carefully before committing to buy. I saw one in an antique shop in Pueblo, Co. that was in good shape, not painted, needed a new belt, for $115, so if this is in good condition go ahead and get it.

It is a rivet forge. It was designed and used for heating rivets for iron and steel construction; bridges, high-rise buildings, ships and tanks. As such it is a good forge for small things and the portability is a bonus. It is certainly a good beginer forge.

I have one that looks very much like yours. When I was cleaning it up each part had a number on it. All numbers were preceded by the letters BF, which leads me to believe it is a Buffalo Forge product. The only paint I found was a small amount of green that closely approximates the green that blacksmith John Deere used on his products.

It looks to be in good condition and not painted over. The wind shielding looks to be something someone added on or at least replaced.

Here's a few pictures... should be a good forge to get me started and the fact that I can move it easily is HUGE. Basically exactly what I was looking for. Now all I need is a hammer and some sort of anvil!

forge1.jpg

forge2.jpg

This is the only marking found at first glance:
forge3.jpg
It appears there is something under No. 100 but I went out and looked again and can't seem to make anything out.

The gentleman I bought it from claims it's been sitting in the corner of his garage for over 50 years... he wasn't interested in selling me a good sized anvil he had collected from a John Deere plant years ago, however.

Looking on the internet for some leads on what it might be turned up this site:
anvils2
If you scroll down you'll see an 18" hand pumped forge. This looks almost identical to what I have minus the fact mine only has three legs. I suspect things of this vintage varied greatly with many different incantations.

I always figured the lever type forges were made for folks who were used to bellows and didn't like the idea of a hand crank - they are somewhat rare so I wouldn't be too quick to sell it even after you move on to another forge. I've got a "railroad" type of lever forge - a rectangular shaped pan about 2' x 3' that I got more for fun than practical use. I like the curves in the wheel and simply the way it works.

It looks like you've got yourself a nice piece of machinery :)