I Forge Iron

Dumpster Diving Safely

Glenn

An article in the paper stated that garbage collectors found the remains of a meth lab thrown into a garbage bin. It seems the folks cooking the drugs use any available dumpster to dispose of the evidence rather than leave it laying about where they might draw attention and get caught.

Police were called, who then called a Hazmat team. Hazmat decontaminated the garbage collectors on location, put them into special jump suits and took them to the hospital for observation.

A blacksmith looking for steel in the same dumpster may or may not recognize the discarded meth lab materials, or the danger. It used to be that glasses gloves and boots were all that was needed. That was then, this is now. The world is changing and we must keep up in order to stay safe.

Sad! I thought this would be a funny post having to do with diving in to deep, banging head etc.

Some people trully do not care about the consequences of there actions and for that matter, what they do to their body.

Yes, sadly times have changed and hearing things like this, I don't think they have changed for the better.

My grandpa told me about all the dangers that came from the illegal production and sale of alcohol when he lived through prohibition. Funny, ever since alcohol was re-legalized, all those dangers went away (gangsters fighting over turf, blinding from drinking wood alcohol, disregard for the prohibition law, corruption of law enforcement because of the huge financial incentives...)

What lessons have we learned from Prohibition that makes us think that the Drug War is a good idea?

Sad! I thought this would be a funny post having to do with diving in to deep, banging head etc.

Yeah, I was just going to suggest empty your pockets to somewhere secure eg the car. I have this fear of losing something underneath immovable junk.

Anyhoo, take care all ;)

AndrewOC

I have a friend who is a hobby machinist who is always scrounging my scrap pile---he pays me back with machine work---like a tool holder for my screw press! We both profit from the association!

Jeremy; new steel may require a 2 hour drive each way from my house. Drives the price WAY UP!
Especially as I have to take a day off of my real work to do the trip when they are open.

. . . Funny, ever since alcohol was re-legalized, all those dangers went away (gangsters fighting over turf, blinding from drinking wood alcohol, disregard for the prohibition law, corruption of law enforcement because of the huge financial incentives...)

What lessons have we learned from Prohibition that makes us think that the Drug War is a good idea?

I wondered too until I began seeing toothless mothers and fathers gouging at their supperating, oozing meth sores trying to scratch our the imagined bugs living in their bodies, crack and methamphetamine addicted newborn children, and the violence committed in psychotic episodes or just to support a meth habit. I could go on but the point is this is not victimless criminal behavior. I have no illusion or intention that the part of the "war" I am fighting will eliminate addiction let alone eliminate illicit drugs. If that happens, so much the better, but ultimately that's up to the addict. All I can do is what I can to protect the rest of us from people who cannot or will not control themselves.

Sorry for the rant but many people seem to think the "war on drugs" is no more than a morality issue. From my perspective and from the perspective of the victims I see all too frequently it assuredly is not.

Bill