I Forge Iron

hand stamp trick (touch mark)

Stamp man

Just thought I would post a simple trick we use when hand stamping (as called here on the forum touch mark) in the cold state.

First stamp it in the soft anealed state (harden material will dull the stamp and not penetrate very well. A rule of thumb is 35Rc or under is ok to mark.

You guys as forge/blacksmith know to use a solid back up and a heavy hammer (I use a mini mall around 2 pounds.

Anyhow when stamping place a piece of masking tape on the material to be parked
This will steady the stamp and prevent bounce back gost impressions.
A quick wire brush accross th estamp after your done will clean out the Engraving.

Also if you save your paper work you got from us you can always use it when re-ordering. This will give the engineers the "job number" so they can pull up the old artwork and duplicate it with the fuss and much quicker.

Hope this helps

when stamping, place a piece of masking tape on the material to be parked. This will steady the stamp and prevent bounce back gost impressions.

This trick can be used during layout.
Place masking tape where a hole needs located. The tape will accept and hold much finer line (ball point pen, pencil, or sharpie marker) than the chalk on steel. The center punch will not dance around and can be placed much closer to the true center of the hole. The drill bit will not dance around, but bite into the masking tape when it is first started.

Glad to learn about the tape. I have heard something kinda like this before but had forgotten about it. Thanks for refreshing this old memory.

Stampman, Sure do like my stamp. I also will probably get another one.

Thanks for all the information shared!
Billy

so simple... and not something I would have ever tried by myself... good to know and thanks...

am I the only one who has ever lost a stamp flying across the shop even holding with vice grips from an off center blow.. or something shifting... or whatever?

I would like some suggestions of how to hold the stamps so they don't fly away on me...

and Yes I put on full safetey gear when doing this... face shield especially...
cliff

• 3 weeks later...

One other trick you can use for the heavy hammer guys.

Take a thick hose like a heater hose or peice of hydralic hose and drill a hole in it. Then push the hand stamp in the hole. Using the rubber hose as a handle keeps your hand away and eliminates the shock.

This also works for hand held forging tools.