I Forge Iron

Welding

Personnally I will not use flux only wire. Makes an ugly weld with a bunch of splatter. Some folks like it but I believe you have a poor weld at best. Solid wire is cleaner, looks better and if done correctly is a better weld.IMO. NOW that said....Dual shield wire, that is a flux core wire WITH shielding gas is a superb weld. Clean, deep penatration, and good looking weld. You can get this wire in .045 and .035. Position welding take a little practice, it's doable, but used for mostly flat/filet welds.

How good are the flux cored wire mig welds, compared to solid wire welds?

The previous poster touched on the technical differences between the two processes. Are you asking in order to make a determination on purchasing a welder? If so, then I would say buy a MIG with all of the gas accessories. You can then do either.

IMO, when you use gas, you will no longer use flux core unless you need extra penetration when welding at the welders max capabilities or you are working outdoors in windy situations and don't have the luxury of blocking the wind.
Get the solid wire now. It will cost you more to outfit a flux core later. And buy a reputable brand welder. You will be able to find accessories, parts and service when needed.

How good are the flux cored wire mig welds, compared to solid wire welds?

The answer to this question depends upon many variables, the machine, the type of flux core, the type of hard wire, the choice of shielding gas, the base metal, the position of the weld, the requirements of the weld, the skill of the operator.
In some cases flux core is far superior to hard wire, as it is an actual weld.
If you provide more details, your question can be answered more accurately.

. . .
In some cases flux core is far superior to hard wire, as it is an actual weld.
If you provide more details, your question can be answered more accurately.

I don't mean to sound challenging here since I know little about the techonolgy and metallurgy of the welding process. Are you saying that two pieces of steel fused by a stick welder or flux core wire are welded and two pieces fused by a mig process are not? My (imperfect) understanding has been that aside from the dissimilar metals often seen in soldering and brazing the fundamental distinction between the different processes is a function of the temperatures used in the fusion process. Edited by wedwards

It has been my understanding that higher temperatures are obtained from stick and flux core because of higher voltage, i.e. 230V not 110V. I sure like my old Lincoln stick for anything above 1/4", I'm not sure that is possible with my Lincoln wire feed machine with gas shield, maybe with flux core. Both Of my machines are 230V. Not even close to an expert by any means.

Certainly some welders are capable of handling thicker metals than others but I don't think the source voltage is what makes the total difference. I have a Lincoln tombstone ac/dc which runs on 220VAC and I think will run up to 225 amps dc. I also have a Lincoln 180C which also runs on 220 VAC but the Lincoln mig, I am told, is not rated to do very well with any more than about 3/16" material. Neither the chart or the manual for the mig tell me what the current is at any particular setting. I haven't seen the specs on the tombstone for awhile but if I recall correctly the voltage difference at the leads is about 60 volts. I expect the voltage at the 180C leads is also about the same. It's the current that makes the difference if heavier material can be welded.

But I am getting off the point of my orginal question. Is the fusion of metal made by solid wire shielded by inert gas (mig) any less a weld than the fusion of of metal by the stick welding process (I think the term is SMAW)?

MIG== is solid wire and shield gas==SMAW FCAW is dual shield wire and/or flux core only.
MIG is not recommened for over 3/16" for most home shop welders. For a much better explaination...without bias...go to Lincoln's or Miller's web site and search the 2 processes. I still contend the flux core only is an inferior weld with the small machines and wire you get for the 'home' welder/shop. just my $.002. Yes, I am a professional. Pressure vessels, boilers, piping for a Forune 500 chemical plant. Qualified/certified in GTAW, GMAW, SMAW, FCAW, and O/Awelding/brazing in over 175 procedures in our plant. From titanium to 99.997% pure Silver.

I think we are getting into the realm of slag inclusion, porosity, and other weld defects. I know weld defects are more prevalent with some technologies, but are present in all electrical welding technologies and can largely be eliminated through training, practice and testing, both destructive and non-destructive (x-ray).

Are we still discussing the original question or do further questions and clarifications need put forth?

Phil

My guess is ( since the original poster has not answered ) that the original question had to do with justifying how much to spend to get a MIG.

Other posters have brought up good technical points but when it comes down to a smaller budget, the gas MIG welder is worth the few extra dollars because both processes can be used when they are called for.
I have a gas 230v 175 amp MIG and a 185 amp TIG that also does stick very well. I have the luxury to use the process that fits the project the best. But when you don't have that luxury, at least being able to choose which MIG process allows for more flexibility.

The A.W.S. does not recognize MIG. They do recognize Fluxcore. Tell you anything?

I'm confused :confused: then what is this?

"AWS D1.1 3G GMAW welding certification"

The following is a statement from a welding school:
"The GMAW or MIG 3G welding certification is one of the most needed welding certifications for anyone who wants to work in manufacturing or fabrication shops. If you don

Im going to have to agree 110% with Thomas Dean. He knows his stuff. But just a quick explaination on the differences: GMAW=MIG uses a solid wire with a shielding gas ie; CO2, argon, tri-mix. FCAW= flux core uses a tubular wire filled with flux much like stick but backwards. there is gas shielded flux core (dual shield) and self shielded (like stick). with the proper skill/experience, neither one is superior to the other. it is proven, however, that flux core has a higher penetration, deposition, and production rate. if you are wanting to get a good welding machine for your home shop, and you are planning on doing a fair amount of welding, i reccomend a miller xmt 304 cc/cv machine. you can run stick, mig, tig, and wire. u need a separate wire feeder to run wire and gas setup with it but you can do any process you like with it.... but if you arent getting that deep into it, then i would get a little lincoln wire welder from home depot. they work just fine for occational garage work.

-Hillbilly

MY 2 cents g3 refers to position vertical. here is a great discription Flux Cored Welding procedures, mig welding, tig welding, arc welding, robotic welding, flux cored welding technigue, pipe welding A.W.S. dose reconize flux cor wire. Many articals on welding stainless steel in plants. I have a mig welder the bigest problems with is you get what you pay for a cheep machine will have a short limited duty cycle I bought a hobart 175 a few years back It will weld 1/4 inch in a single pass runs on 230V. I have run it all day long with no down time. I used a friends machine that ran on 110v. After 20 min I had to shut it down and wait for it to cool down so I could start up again. But in the long run you are going to want a machine what has the option to weld with gas. duty cycle is the most important thing. the cool thing about my welder is I can run it off a generator 8500 watt again welded all day with no down time.

• 4 months later...