I Forge Iron

Deer Skin Apron

For everyday wear it would work, but I am wondering about being around hot items. When we branded buckskin items at camp it really shrank up fast, and deformed, unlike cow hide.

Buckskin is a lot stretchier than cow hide, so may not give the best protection from accidental impacts. What may be best is buckskin apron with a cow hide section where you need the most protection. I have seen a smith who forges with no shirt, no safety glasses, and a kilt with metal scales down the front. Choose your own level of protection.

My old mentor, Victor Vera, was brought up in a blacksmith shop in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. He said that his dad and uncle both wore deerskin aprons that came to the tops of their shoes.

Lots of farriers' aprons used to be made of muleskin which was thick and protective. Nowadays, their aprons are made of different materials or combinations of materials: "bull hide", cordura, "duratuff", latigo, etc.
Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools

Well, I guess I was being a little particular. Mule skin was used by many old time blacksmiths because it is thick and protective as Frank said. Peter Ross uses cheap ($2-$3) cotton aprons typically for woodworkers. As many have said, just about anything works. Personally I don't wear one very often. I usually have burn holes in my blacksmithing shirts. I do like to wear a leather apron when I am using a wire brush on an angle grinder. If I do not, I am picking little wires out of my belly.