I Forge Iron

new anvil build

So here's the anvil I built last month, I really like it, but since I just started I have nothing to compare it to and my opinion may be slightly biased. In another post you guys helped me work out those decarb problems from the heat treat, I hope. So I thought I'd build another one and I really like Mr. hofi's double horn design, pritchel holes, upsetting / straightening blocks with the pass-thrus, the right angled mini horn, etc.

My question is if it were you would you put the little step in front of the horn? It seems like it's typical for the double horns to be without it. Why is that:confused:

If I'm gonna make it, I can make it however I want. So how do I want?

18308.attach

18309.attach

18310.attach

The step is also known as the cutting plate, a soft spot to hot cut metal without destroying the hard top plate. Very few smiths would dare to use the cutting plate for it's intended purpose these days, prefering instead to drop a soft plate over the entire toplate. The step does serve a purpose though. It is a place to bend against, for example, when I make a leaf, I fold it into the angle provided by the step, then finnish folding it on the top plate, then unfold it, leaving a nice ridge up the center. The same could be done with a hardy tool, but it is nice to have this option available, without slipping in a tool, then having to remove it again.

Looks really good. Looks really wide, or is that just the camera angle. How come you opted to make an anvil? Just for practice? It almost looks like a Nimba Titan from the side.

I would not add a step if it was me. Use it first and then decide if it's something your missing. I'd prefer not to take away from the face. A+ Job.... why don't you post the specs when you get it all up and mounted and finished.

so far it looks like it's overwhelming, no step, that's great 'cause I think it'll make it a lot easier to make.

Gazilla and dphigh- arftist put in the first thread giving the details about it just ask if you want more.

Avadon-it's the only one i've ever used/ had/ or made so I didn't notice wide. I work in a steel mill and sometimes the nights get pretty boring. So I typically find something to keep me occupied, usually it's for them but sometimes it's for me. It started as part of a 5 1/2" X 28' billet that was scrapped. I milled out the hardy hole then welded a piece of 3/4" plate on the side and I ended up with 6 1/4". This time I'm going to drill a 1" hole for the hardy and drive a drift thru it, just like a really big hammer. Well that's the plan anyway, seems kind of backward that my first attempt at drifting will be 5", but if I can do that everything else should be easy. This time I'll try to remember progress pics.

Phil-great idea I'll come up with something.

markrose- thanks for the vote of confidence but I don't think my quality or quantity is quite ready for production, one small success doesn't really equate to competence, hence my signature.

If however this one turns out like I see it in my mind, ABSOFRIKINLUTELY, I'll do just about anything for a buck these days.