I Forge Iron

buffing wheel, polish

pbriel

It is difficult to say much without knowing what you are doing. You might try investing in a quality *sewn* wheel, and a selection of buffing compounds. Also can we assume that you have ground or filed the surface so that it is fairly smooth before polishing? After all there are different tools for different purposes. If you are trying to remove scale from iron with a bare cloth wheel, yes you are going to shred a cloth wheel in a matter of a few minutes, as that is not the wheel's intended function. :D

I bought my first one a couple of weeks ago, and being the cheap bugger I am bought the cheapest one....

You NEED the ones with the layers sewn together in circles from the center wheel out, less fuzz and keep there shape better.

This one: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

NOT this one: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

There are many different buffing mops, and many different grades of polishing compounds,

What you need to do is to find out what is suitable for the application you are undertaking.

Basically rough polishing requires coarse mops and compounds and progress through to finer mops and compounds for finer finishes.

If polishing other materials keep dedicated mops for each.

Do a search on polishing, there is loads of good infomation on the web as well as on this site, try in the bladesmithing section.

Use a mask and safety glasses, do not apply too much pressure and work safe

I never use the buffs that are sewn, only loose muslin buffs. That will not help you a lot unless you know wot I use for buffing compounds and wot I am buffing. It is just like that For a best answer to this we need more info. Cheap buffs are not worth as much as they cost. Another thing is wot speed are they spinning at and wot is the diameter? Help us by filling in the blanks and maybe we can provide a better guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi: if you trying tp polish somthing like knife blades after final sanding what you need are two different buffing wheels.
fopr coarse buffing you need a sisal wheel which is made from hemp and coarse buffing compound like the black bar available from kova knife supply co. for finnish buffing a muslin buffinf wheel either loose or sewn one. I prefer the loose buff. there is a green buffing bar that really puts on a nice finnish; I hope this helps you lee

we had sewn cloth wheels to polish plow lays after pounding out and grinding so they would scour, they were 2 inches wide and from 8 inches to 12 inches in diameter. we had to apply glue then roll them in a mixture of 40, 36 and 24 grit alum oxide granules then let dry, they changed the glue formula, so the grit didn't stay on very long. So I found an expanding rubber wheel that takes sanding belts, from Brownells SANDING DRUMS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools and the special belts, SANDING BELTS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

I use the 3 inch wide drums.

do a search for polishing on the brownells site for finer polishing.

Edited by irnsrgn

I was referred to these people. Formax Mfg Corp Buffing Compounds Buffing Wheels Polishing Wheels Buffing Accessories Bar Compounds Buffing Glues Buffing Abrasives by a metal spinner. They have it all when it comes to buffing supplies. I use there lubs for spinning and will be ordering the K-402 Metal and Plastic Buffing Kit in the next few days. Look them up, if nothing else, you will learn about the buffing process, I sure did!