I Forge Iron

Need some help in Long Beach Ca.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you do those raised bumps on the shroud with a doming die, or did you pre-stretch and stamp them out? Or something else I don't know about?

I stretch the spot on the Eckold then I have a set of dies I made to make it crisp. Then tune up all around it on the planishing hammer.... Edited by frankyluckman

I love that bike it must make flying seem like your on bus haha

I know what you mean about doing everything because of having no money,
I like building tools though and its always a good experiance

I am thinking about building a english wheel because the place I am working in has a nice massive lathe a nice 9 x 4 top wheel would be nice or something like that depending on what I can find

only problem is I have no idea about the measurements for the different radius's to machine for the anvil wheels

on metalcaft tools it says a #1 anvil is 12 inch radius with 1 inch track

I am thinking the track is the part that contacts the upper wheel but a 12 inch radius really doesnt explain much for machining

I used to like working on mechanical stuff I dont mind it, but when I do it becomes frusterating I keep thinking if this was only making something out of metal I would have something done by now when the engine still isnt running

I think I am getting the sheet metal sickness again I have a bunch of books on it and have attempted to make a gas tank with a poorly made buck from whatever wood I could find at the time

maybe I will build a chopper from the ground up and buy a cheap bike and chop the tag off and weld it to my frame hahaha

I bought a bunch of sheetmetal tools and have played around with them some but I havent even used all of them yet they came as part of a package deal I wont let these babys go until my death day

edited because it wont upload my pictures so i guess I will try again later

19872.attach

19873.attach

19874.attach

19875.attach

19876.attach

19877.attach

Edited by Bryce Masuk

I stretch the spot on the Eckold then I have a set of dies I made to make it crisp. Then tune up all around it on the planishing hammer....

My friend sent me a picture of one of your powerhammers (pettingell no.2, I think) and it has a wooden column. For some reason wood makes sense to me, as if it would absorb the shock while remaining rigid, like the wooden handle on a hammer. I thought pettingells were all originally mounted on wooden beams anyway, but I get a lot of advice telling me to use steel instead. Most of the advice comes from people who do not own or operate sheet metal hammers. Any tips?

I am thinking about building a english wheel because the place I am working in has a nice massive lathe a nice 9 x 4 top wheel would be nice or something like that depending on what I can find. Only problem is I have no idea about the measurements for the different radius's to machine for the anvil wheels. On metalcaft tools it says a #1 anvil is 12 inch radius with 1 inch track. I am thinking the track is the part that contacts the upper wheel but a 12 inch radius really doesnt explain much for machining

Hey Bryce if your trying to use the wheel to planish a part the bottom wheel should have s slightly bigger radius that what you want the part to end up being.

Yea I really cant see you picking up a water color brush. I guess I shouldn't call it art but you obviously take a lot of pride in your craftsmanship and I was just wondering if you ever build "work" that doesn't have a motor on it?
YouTube - up and Away

I am pretty sure anything is art when its handmade

I think art is when you imagine something and then you make it reality,

the best part about visualizing things is when you can do it without closing your eyes its almost like its created instantly

but then of course you have to do the actual work

I like your work its clear you have your own style and have spent alot of time pounding metal,

if there is something you think you lack its probley because your soon to evolve your idea's again which is awesome

like they say there are 4 phases to learning in life

1. when you know you are incompetent
2.when you dont know you are incompetent
3.when you know you are competent at something
4.when you are so good at something it you dont even think about it

as soon as you hit phase 4 hopefully your thinking of something else to learn

I am pretty sure anything is art when its handmade

I think art is when you imagine something and then you make it reality,

I know it's purely argumentative, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Personally I feel like art is a form of communication designed to evoke an emotion where words may not accurately encompass. You should feel something, whether you see a bike and say it looks mean or listen to a song and call it sad. Or maybe that's the difference between art and good art. Or maybe I'm just smug.

its all relative, everyone does there own thing

many people do things because its what they want to do, it has nothing to do with others

trades were never truely recognized as art until mass production had taken off

I guess no one recognized the human aspect of making things

when you make anything by hand there are always imperfections those imperfections are different person to person

Going back a couple post to the bit about what an "artist" is. I found this quote and to me, it sums it up perfectly. Good design of course is subjective.

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer;
A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman;
but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist."
-Louis Nizer, American lawyer (1902-1994)