I Forge Iron

Need some help in Long Beach Ca.

Hello I'm new to the site. and to Blacksmithing.

To get started I picked up a ALL Industrial Furnace made in South Gate Calif..

I want to see if anyone has info on these? I have searched online and can not find any company info or spec's.

I would like to hook it up on natural gas, or propane.

I don't know which would work better?

Or should I scrap this POS cause it's not good for blacksmithing??

I am located in Long Beach Ca.

Thanks in advance.
jesse

19503.attach

19504.attach

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First call the local gas company and see if they can supply you with natural gas at that pressure in a home setting.

If they can't/won't/too expensive you can get it re-done for propane by having the orifices hard soldered over and drilled with the correct size drillbit. I last had this done by a local propane company when I converted a NG to propane powered item.

Can anyone tell me what the desired temp(s) should be inside the forge?

Also is there any Full Time 7 day a week Blacksmiths on here? I make Heavy Duty Work Clothing and would like to set up a couple of Blacksmiths with some free clothes to test for me. Let me know if you are interested.
thanks...jesse

19511.attach

The gas company may run a install a meter for you but you will need a licensed plumber to run the interior gas line and make final connection. You may need a device to boost you line pressure at the unit.
That is a nice planishing hammer. I have seen a couple of them but they were mounted on steel columns not wood.
Could you let us know where you are located.

Thar we go.
In the second group of furnace photos there appears to be something large mounted off the side. Is it a blower?
Very nice tank on the bike, btw! How did you go sealing the rivet seams?

If you look on your personal profile page there is a function to put in a location, suburb/ town level seems sufficient on this forum. Its helps with gaining local specific knowledge; for example another long beacher might know a helpful furnace engineer :)

have fun, post us more pics of nice metal work to!
AndrewOC

• 1 month later...

OK. I revisited this thread just now, and recognized the tank, and shop fotos.
Had to go to the first post to verify the name.

I am honored to be on a forum with the likes of you.

My wife is lucky that there is so much distance between me and your shop. Else I would never be home.

We have a couple builders in my town, but none like you.

My daughter used to go to school in Long Beach, and everytime we went to visit, I always threatened to to stop by, but never did.

OK. I revisited this thread just now, and recognized the tank, and shop fotos.
Had to go to the first post to verify the name.

I am honored to be on a forum with the likes of you.

My wife is lucky that there is so much distance between me and your shop. Else I would never be home.

We have a couple builders in my town, but none like you.

My daughter used to go to school in Long Beach, and everytime we went to visit, I always threatened to to stop by, but never did.

Hey thanks for the kind words!

I'm just trying to put some new skills in my toolbox, and see where it takes me next...

If you are ever out this way come by....

19521.attach

Thanks Man!...

I don't know about "Amazing" anyone in Blacksmithing...There is so many Talented people doing it that are decades into it..
I'm just barely learning how to hold and swing the hammer. It is way more difficult than I thought.
I have a long road of learning ahead of me, But I'm up for it!.....
Guess time will tell..

19522.attach

If you pick up with forging the way you did with fab work, I think you'll end up a pretty good smith. The thing that made me fall in love with forging is that you can learn the basics in pretty short order, but you'll spend the rest of your life trying to master it. I've been doing this 15 years and am still learning.
Mark Emig
P.SD.- how'd you hook up with Hofi ? I took a class from him-good teacher.

Hey Thomas I already have Natural gas plumbed near by. So Natural gas seems like the way to go. Any idea what the line psi should be?

Well, it says on the spec plate shwn in pic #1, 6-8 in h2O pres. The air pressure is also listed on the plate next to it. There is also a listing F1,000 I believe (recent traumatic brain injury from being attacked by a Great White . . . Birch might have caused me to writ the wrong number so take a look at the top right of the spec plate for the accurate info)

Anyway, the air and gas pressure should be more than enough info for an experienced gas burner guy (check with a furnace or heating and mechanical company near you) to set it up and tune it for you.

Frosty