I Forge Iron

Need some help in Long Beach Ca.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be the nicest looking hood I've ever seen. However it's hard to tell scale in the photo, but it looks like you've got about a 6" thimble for your chimney stack. You may find that the amount of smoke generated by a good coal fire especially on start-up quite surprising. I'd recommend at least a 10" outlet, 12" for preference. You could possibly get away with a 8" stack if you are willing to put up with some escaping soot and smoke or have a powered vent system, but I suspect that you will want to keep your shop as clean as it looks in the photos. Check out some of Jock Dempsey's stuff for more ideas. Blacksmithing and Metalworking Equipment Plans

This old girl runs a 10 inch stack. I've made a shroud to lower the height of the hood, for when I first fire it up. I remove it after around 10 minutes, and provided I'm not too generous with fresh coal, there is very minimal smoke in the shop. I've made up this high velocity stack for it, which works great.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your forge work Jesse.
Jason

Shoot me an email Jesse..... I can take care of that...

If a steel stamp for marking your parts is what you need, we do this all day every day special or standard stamps

Columbia Marking Tools phone is 586-949-8400 ask For Brian as he takes care of the forum guys (saves about 30 to 40 %).

Or check us out on the web.

Hand Tools - Columbia Marking Tools

• 2 weeks later...

Ya that is cool Grant and it is very cool to see Jesse hear and getting into blacksmithing. That is the first shop I have seen that is cooler then Larry's, sorry Larry. Jesse if you ever make it out here to seattle I would be glad to spend a day with you running big hammers. yea I am a fan. But if you want to make killer damascus that would look great on your Bikes I could Help check it out at www.davidlisch.com

Ya that is cool Grant and it is very cool to see Jesse hear and getting into blacksmithing. That is the first shop I have seen that is cooler then Larry's, sorry Larry. Jesse if you ever make it out here to seattle I would be glad to spend a day with you running big hammers. yea I am a fan. But if you want to make killer damascus that would look great on your Bikes I could Help check it out at www.davidlisch.com

hey Dave I think I'm doin pretty good if It takes Jesse James to one up me ;-)