I Forge Iron

Need some help in Long Beach Ca.

Can anyone tell me what the desired temp(s) should be inside the forge?

Also is there any Full Time 7 day a week Blacksmiths on here? I make Heavy Duty Work Clothing and would like to set up a couple of Blacksmiths with some free clothes to test for me. Let me know if you are interested.
thanks...jesse

Karen here...
My husband Brian has been standing in front of his forge nearly every day for almost 30 years now. We are on a road trip that started in Ca last Sept. and are in MD tonight and headed back to MS on Monday. I could get an address there if you would like Brian to try your clothes.
He is a traditional blacksmith and prefers a coal or coke fire and doesn't know much about gas forges but he knows how to heat up metal and move it.
Thanks, let me know if you need a shipping address.. :cool:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pic of you and the Master Hofi!

Good luck with the smithing! I have a poster from the movie Easy Rider hanging above my anvil...the shot with Nicholson in his football helmet two-up with Fonda on Captain America...I've never forged a motorcyle component but it just seems fitting to have that visual there...

Dave

Well, it says on the spec plate shwn in pic #1, 6-8 in h2O pres. The air pressure is also listed on the plate next to it. There is also a listing F1,000 I believe (recent traumatic brain injury from being attacked by a Great White . . . Birch might have caused me to writ the wrong number so take a look at the top right of the spec plate for the accurate info)

Anyway, the air and gas pressure should be more than enough info for an experienced gas burner guy (check with a furnace or heating and mechanical company near you) to set it up and tune it for you.

Frosty

Thanks so much for this info! I haven't checked the line pressure yet. But it is getting more than hot enough.....

Karen here...
My husband Brian has been standing in front of his forge nearly every day for almost 30 years now. We are on a road trip that started in Ca last Sept. and are in MD tonight and headed back to MS on Monday. I could get an address there if you would like Brian to try your clothes.
He is a traditional blacksmith and prefers a coal or coke fire and doesn't know much about gas forges but he knows how to heat up metal and move it.
Thanks, let me know if you need a shipping address.. :cool:

Hey Karen we already found a couple smiths to test out the clothes. sorry..

Howdy,
I'm happy to see you got the gas burner fired up! is it what you'd hoped it would be? Did you get the coal burner squared away? I'd love to here the stories of the class with Hofi.

Steve

Gas Burner is working great! Blower motor took a xxxx yesterday...Need to get it rewound....probably hadn't run since the 70's

Coal forge is getting there.....Needs a better blower....Also working on a hood today for it...so it doesn't smoke everyone out....

Stayed with Hofi for a week in Israel...... Amazing!.....I will put a report together soon......

19523.attach

Ahh, mechanical vrs. air. I bought my Murray 7 years ago, done nothing to it but a put a couple gallons of oil on it. I also have one of those "air hammers" OK hammer but there is no substitute for power (Grant help me out here). You want power in an air hammer you have to step up in price big time or go to the older Nazel, Chamberburg self contained hammer that often need work as well. My point is that you get more hammer for the money when you go Mech.