I Forge Iron

noise reduction for air hammer

I've never actually seen a Striker hammer, but there's a video of one on You tube, and it sounds very noisy even when it's not actually doing anything. It looks and sounds very similar to the Alldays and Onions hammer at the forge where I did the course recently, and that one is certainly very loud; I don't think you'd want to work with it for long without ear protection.

YouTube - Striker forging hammer

Nice hammer, but note how the operator is having to shout to make himself heard even when the hammer isn't actually hitting anything.

Edited by stephen Furley

You shouldn't need any fancy silencer. I suspect if you can connect any kind of hose to the exhaust and put the end outside, you will have very little noise left. If you cannot put the end of the hose outside, stick it into the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket that has lathe swarf or steel wool in it. This will act as a muffler. John Larson (Iron Kiss Hammers) uses this method very effectively.

you can just fit a baffle about 1/2" away from the port behind the flywheel. 1/8" plate with some holes drilled through would suffice.

If its the same as the anyang there is a void under the anvil cap. You could pour molten lead in (I know, toxic, all safety precautions apply). to take some of the 'ring' out of the blow.

If you dont fancy the lead idea try filling it with some bitchumen (roofers tar)

Is there much real difference between the Striker and the Anyang hammers? Same factory, different paint jobs ? or two different machines altogether ?

The various websites tout the superiority of one over the other but they look pretty much the same. It looks like they were both a copy taken off the Chambersburg or Massey originals. Around here in the PNW, a lot of smiths have Strikers ,which after varying amounts of work seem to give good service.

I can appreciate the unique advantages of an air hammer, but have I personally have gone the route of mechanicals due to the lower electrical power input requirements per ram weight [ mechanicals are much more efficient ] and simplicity of operation and mantainence.

All hammers are loud when they hit but the air hammers seem to have the extra noise of the intake and exhaust.

Check out the link below to an interesting photo essay on the area around Anyang ,China. If there is a place like Mordor here on Earth, it is there.

Showcase: Infernal Landscapes - Lens Blog - NYTimes.com show/ China&st=cse

If I had the oppurtunity, I would pipe the exhaust outside to a muffler. A usefull mufler can be as simple as a small engine muffler such as seen on a riding mower. A small car muffler also works. Just don't reduce to a smaller pipe size. There is the added benefit of removing any oil mist from the machine from the work area as well.
If one has the right size pnuematic filter, a pnuematic muffler on the exaust from that filter will provide a "Reclassifier" as used in industry. This will both muffle noise and catch that oil mist.

you can attach the baffle plate to one of the back 'holding down' bolts.

Im sure if you were a semi competent tin basher you could make a mufler for it (it would have to start narrow to clear the flywheel on the back of the machine.

Anyang & Striker (branded Striker in the west, but actually Shanxi No.5 hammer factory), Same basic design of hammer (the 'C-41') different factories. Both factories originally set up by chinese ministry of machine building IIRC.

The photos of industrial wasteland remind me of photos of Birmingham & Sheffield 100 years ago. Sad.

I would say there is probably little substantial difference between the Striker and Anyang hammers at this point.
I have never used an Anyang. At the time, when I was in the market for a new better hammer and had the funds available, the reviews on the Anyang were spotty.
I had the opportunity to try out a working Striker in person at Cassidy Brothers Workshop and was satisfied that this machine would fit my needs as indeed it has.

As far as the origin of this machine, SGropp, I admit my research efforts were weak. I could have delved deeper into the reality of it.
Aside from this machine, most all equipment in my shop is second hand American made. I cannot guarantee that my circa 1930 bandsaw, for instance, was not manufactured under the most humane circumstances any more than you can your Beaudry.
That said, buying equipment new says something different. One is essentially saying with dollars that the conditions under which the equipment was manufactured are morally acceptable.
I appreciate you raising this point, I hope others consider it when shopping for machinery.

Hofi, I do not understand your muffler plan clearly, can you draw it or take a picture?
Thanks

Do you realy have to use the original exhaust behind the flywheel to put a hose/pipe/mufler? there are two inspectionlids, one one each side of the hammer, why not use one of these and plug the original exhaust.
Robin

that might be a very, very good idea :cool: (now why diddnt I think of it :rolleyes: )

Ill have a look at an arrangement drawing and see if there is any reason not to do it

Compressors are expensive to run, based on my sandblasting experience. Which is why I went to a 365 cfm diesel. Now all sold but still have one comp. left, forgot the cfm 30 to 60 I would say, cfm. I will sell it, elec relay(about 20" wide by 5' tall). Also have a starting panel relay that slow starts the motor in 3 steps. to save on the start up load costs.