I Forge Iron

my Hay- Budden?

i have an anvil about a #165 or a 175. very fairly sure that it is a hay budden. it appears to have some kind of writinggoing in a circluar pattern on the side where the horn is pointing to your right.it looks a LOT like a hay-budden also.how do i know. also i think that sears roebuck made my vice. how do i know about both? will pictures help?:confused

A photo would most certainly help with the identification. Hay Budden anvils have a serial number under the horn end on the leading edge of the feet. Wire brush as much as you can and then wipe down with some oil. Cast a light at the end to intensify the shadows. This helps letters stand out a little better some times.
Thomas. How do you even propose that someone "wore out" the bottom of an anvil?
Gobbler

beneath the horn there is an indent in it. its is hard to explain, but ill try, it is kinda like a pyramid or a wedge shape going toward the inside. i took pictures last night, but my memory card was fulll so by the time i got to it i coyuldnt take anymore. i ll get it though.another feature is the middle of theanvil, i think that it is called the body,there is a line running horizontally. i think that they call it the forge weld or athe cast line or weld. i dont know but ive seen it on other hay buddens.what do you guys think?

He didn't say edge. He said the whole bottom was wore flat. By what? Wouldn't it have to be on something moving for a long time to wear flat? I just don't get it. I've seen hundreds of anvils, same as a lot of folks here, but never saw one where the bottom was worn. Only the top.
Gobbler

Could be that the anvil sat out behind a barn for many years. The base could pit where it sat in the dirt/grass, giving the appearance of wear. I've seen old rusty wrought iron that appeared to be worn, but closer inspection showed the mass wore down due to decades of pitting.

HB's have the sides project just a little bit past the plain of the base making a hourglass shaped indent.
The old ones had this projection quite narrow and not very far, making it fairly easy for an anvil that shifts slightly with every hammer blow and bedded in with scale---which is an abrasive---to wear away leaving the bottom flat. I have one like that.

The hole you see is called a handling hole and is there to have a place to grab the anvil with specialized tools when forging it. There should be more than on and their number and location is another clue as to what type of anvil it may be.

Now what about the bottom as I asked before? Does it have a ridge that follows the edge of the anvil around making a stylized Hourglass? (or remains of one worn down?)

And yes many brands of anvils were forge welded top to bottom at the waist and latter some brands would arc weld the two halves together.

I have three HB's in the shop. One is a big ol' blocky one that has hardly any marks on it. Another has a "1" stamped by the handling hole in the waist under the horn. Another has a "2" stamped by the handling hole. Not sure what they are, maybe an inspector's mark. Something to look for.

http://www.turleyforge.com

If you can see the name on the side with the horn to the right mine says
Hay-Budden
Manufacturing
Brooklyn, NY

the Hay-Budden is curved like following the top curve of a circle

spend some time with the wire brush and oil and try to make out this obvious identifier

i think the line in the middle of the body is where the tool steel top half and wrought bottom half are joined. I have a tool steel top half hay budden, and i think they were made like that in a specific time period. Mine has what i originally thought looked like a crack in the middle of the body but someone informed me that this particular anvil due to the serial numbers is a tool steel hay budden.

there is the hour glass indent on the bottom just like thomas said. there is also another handling hole.where should the cerial number be i took pivtures and there on my facebook, but there not on here because i couldnt figure out how to download them on here. how do you do it?

is it on the bottom of the foot? how big is it? can you polish it p or more what im wanting to do is keep it from rusting. what oil do you use? ive been told wd40 but some say that it wil go into your work if you do that. i tdidnt make much sense but im a noob so i didnt know. i really need to keep the rust off, HOW!
thanks,
willie

The serial number is on the front of the foot when you are looking at the anvil with the horn pointed directly at you. It will probably take up almost 1/3 of the width of the front foot (I guess this would depend on the size of the anvil-it is like this on my 100 pounder, probably wouldn't be the case for a 500 pounder)

The best way I have found to remove rust (and see serial numbers and other markings) is with a crimped wire cup brush on an angle grinder.

Boiled linseed oil works for preventing rust. If you use the face of your anvil regularly, I can't see rust being too much of an issue on the face, but I live in a fairly dry area where rust is never much of an issue.