I Forge Iron

Hey All,

It has been a while since I have been active on this forum. I have been greatly absorbed into bladesmithing, and consequently sold my coal forge and everything that had to do with blacksmithing. And I feel like an idiot for it, but I am completely setup for bladesmithing. I have been making several knives and making tons of lower count damascus patterns, and spending a lot of time with this guy: Peter Martin Knives but now I am getting back into blacksmithing. And in the past I ordered my stock through speedymetals.com but they are very expensive, compared to what some of you get your steel for. A while back I was talking steel prices with rthibeau, and I was paying close to 4x what he was, mainly because I order through an internet source. Can anyone think of a way that I can find a cheaper steel supplier near me? I am also in the process of re-tooling. hehe.

Thanks guys,
John

Hey John. Talk with a local welding supply shop. Also metal fab shops and machine shops. Surely you have one of those near you. I get most all of my metal from a welding supply shop. I've bought enough from him, in the past several years, that he now sells to me at a reduced rate. Maybe not true wholesale. But cheaper than the average Joe can get it from him. Good luck.

You might try looking for a "surplus" steel supplier in your area. We have one in our area (Delaware) and they're considerably less expensive than the big steel yards. They also have a lot of cut-offs and pre-cut pieces so you don't end up having to buy the whole 20 foot length.

Any major city almost has to have a steel supplier for structural steel for constructing large buildings, and other projects that require steel. I Googled on "Wisconsin steel supply" and one of the hits was Wisconsin Steel and Tube :: Products :: Tube & Pipe Note: the big suppliers differentiate between tube and pipe. Pipe is tube that has passed pressure tests and costs more. :D

After you find one or two suppliers near you call and find out:
- delivery parameters including minimum orders for delivery
- pick-up parameters, cost of cutting, any minimum on orders
- their hours
- whether they sell coils of *iron wire* for pulling/stretching for screens. I am amazed smiths ignore this product, as it is almost "pure iron" in varying diameters as large if not larger than 1/2 inch in diameter. :D

Another trick is to work through a welding or fabrication shop, but deal only in full lengths of stock. It's little hassle for them to "add a couple of sticks of this or that" to an order from their supplier vs getting stock in and custom cutting it etc. To reduce their hassle, bring your hacksaw so they don't even have to cut the 20' lengths in half for you to haul. If you deal like that they won't usually add a lot over cost for ordering for you. Also tell them you are learning Blacksmithing... sometimes they give a "fellow craftsman" a break....... Sam

I get mine from a local windmill construction and repair company. About 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper than at our local lumber yard and TONS cheaper than the big box store 50 miles away. Since they get a price break the more they order they are very reasonable on selling to other folks.

A lot of it depends on what you are doing. Back in Ohio I had scrounging privileges at a local ornamental iron co. They had to pay to have their scrap bin hauled off and so I would visit and clean it out and up. *lots* of nice short lengths of 1/2" sq all trimmed to the same lengths and a bunch of different sized other stuff including some real wrought iron when they replaced a car damaged fence in the old part of town!

If you have a way to haul it local farm and estate auctions are good places to get a deal on metal. Usually lots of steel for sale. I've been to some the last few months that had racks full of nice steel (rounds, flats and tube) that went real cheap. Usually have to buy a whole self or rack though so it can be a pain to load and haul if you don't have a trailer or a truck.

John,

I am located in Beloit WI and just this summer bought 4 tons of steel in a variety of sizes. Most of it is 1018 and a lot of it is pretty large if you don't have a power hammer, but I do have a quantity of 3/4 round. I also have 4140 in 1 11/16" round that would be a good size for hammer/ handled tools and anvil tools. You can contact me through this site or feel free to send me an email directly: pnowak@scotforge.com.

I am planning to be at the Centau event on Nov 14 and the week after that, Nov 21 I am hosting a tong making workshop at my place. Hope to see you there.

Patrick