I Forge Iron

Those who demo

I'm a new dad (15 month old twins), and I have yet to set my shop up. I have the beginnings of a shop, and the desire, just lacking time.

The reason I wanted to post, is to say "thank you" to those of you who demonstrate at the various fairs, festivals and events around the country. You put the skills on display, and show folks that the art of the blacksmith is alive and well. I was at the fall festival in Arrow Rock Mo., over the weekend, and had my son and daughter with me. There were two smiths there, and I couldn't help but notice, that as my father held my son, my little boy seemed captivated by what the smith was doing. He was taking a heat, and and scarfing a piece of round bar; Grandad, and grandson both transfixed by the work. I hope to develop my skill to that point someday, and be able to demonstrate the art of what we do.

Thanks again, folks!

Welcome to the craft. With a handful of hours beside a forge you will be ready to demonstrate to the public. A simple "S" hook, key fob with a leaf, etc and you are ready to go.

Get your kids involved as soon as they are able and willing to swing a hammer. Make a wooden anvil and paint it black, along with a wood hammer, and provide your kids with bars of plasticine modeling clay from your local hobby store. Even some professional smiths have said that they have worked out steps in modeling clay, and some have even demonstrated blacksmithing steps in modeling clay! You could even make them a cardboard or wood "forge". :D

I guess, your welcome. I just finished two back to back three day demos. One at Atwood Lake Fall Festival and Algonquin Mill Fall Festival. I love showing and teaching. That's why many of us do what we do. Making a little cash never hurts to inspire more work but the demo is the real reason. Ohio's fall colors don't hurt either.
Gobbler

Not to Hijack... but Unicorn forge... that is BRILLIAANT!!!!! Been wondering what to get/make my youngest nephew for Xmas...

Much more dumb for me, and I'll fall over my own feet.....

Herchammer its a great hobby... you'll be surprised who you meet and the things you'll talk about, as you can see there is more to this than hammers and anvils...

Cliff

it sometimes suprises me that more smiths dont do demos.... i find them to usuallt be wort the time and they an be fun! rarely will anyone gie you any grief even if you screw up or arnt verry good...it does bring out the "my paw was " but that can be a advantage also just talk a little to um and ask casually if there are any of his tools still around... never know where that can lead ! most of my anvils lateley have walked in to the shop from people seeing me demoing and selling iron. also for those doing demos check and see if there is a waldorf school near by .. they do a celebration once a year and like to have a blacksmith demo for it. I did for one school and was asked if i could do it for another on the same day!! it was too much work to setup for 2 but there is a need out there ..

I love the wooden anvil idea! I've been looking for a small anvil for my son (7) to start working on. In the meantime, maybe I'll go with wood. He was practicing tapers with plasticine this weekend. Got pretty good after half a dozen then kinda lost interest when the neighbor kid came by.

Thanks for the great idea and I also thank the demonstrators!

-Derek

Demoing is fun and yes you don't need to be able to make something hard and fancy and even if you can you don't have the time course of all the talking and answering of questioned you will be doing.
so making something fast and small that needs a few different techniques is the best things to do for demo's like leaves, hooks, simple knife blades and such things

DC