I Forge Iron

Dull Files

• 3 months later...

I am interested with what you did with your dull band saw blades. I read somewhere that you stack the pieces together making it a nice "rasp". I wondered if you thought of considering that.

There is a commercial product for woodworking that looks like this.
https://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=65692&cat=1,42524

I have never tried this tool, but I have tried a couple fresh hacksaw blades stacked and clamped in a vise with mediocre, but promising, results. It did what I needed quickly at least.

Phil

Another solution. I have I think 6 of these pouches and need to have another one or 2 made. Local carriage builders do upholstery work. They do very nice job on these pouches for me among other things.

Gives me a place to stow several sets of sizes and varieties, some seldom used but indeed nice to have when you need them.

Yes ALL of these files were in a box from a sale. Poor conditon. They now are sharp and ready to use (and have been used). I think I started with 45 or more.

post-25-0-58004000-1340862567_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-36195900-1340862582_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-70945900-1340862601_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-54203700-1340862615_thumb.jpg

Interesting. When using a file or rasp, a Burr grows on the tip. If you don't lift the rasp, this Burr points foreward,and interferes with the cut. So lift on the return stroke to prevent this. To do a quick and dirty sharpening, we must remove this Burr. This will extend the life of the file or rasp. Any acid will work. Some faster than others. We only want to remove this Burr on the tip. So first, clean the rasp of gradoo, including grease an d oils. Then make a baking powder slurry. Coat the rasp and let dry. Then lightly remove this from only the tip. Put in any acid From vinegar to whatever ya got. Soak til Burr is gone. The baking powder protects the rest of the cutting edges and removes the Burr. Voi la restored file/rasp. When done make sure to neutralize the tool in a baking powder slurry or other base to kill the acid, or it will continue to etch. Works for me. Stronger acids work faster,weaker slower. So watch and experiment. What ya got to lose? If dull, you can't use it. If you mess up a few, you still can't use it, so turn it into a snake, buy some more rasps/files and try again.

• 2 weeks later...