I Forge Iron

Flame in a bad place...

Not entirely sure what is wrong, but have you checked the valve seat and regulator? Try soapy water or windex after removing your hardware and look for bubbles. If you are still in question about leaks, I would call the vendor and leave the tank away from the house/garage/road/source of ignition. Depending on how close the neighbors are, tell them too.

be safe,
Phil

If it is the tank valve itself leaking think about calling your local fire department. You will have a hazardous material problem in a residential neighborhood (if your neighbors are anywhere close) and that is what fire departments do. Plus I bet they would get there faster than your vendor. Good luck

Bill

Are you sure the regulator was tightened properly? If it is loose and leaking, a little spark from grinding could ignite it easily. It is not uncommon to have a leak there and have nothing wrong with the equipment at all.

By the way, you may not want the fire department to know you have an acetylene tank.

"By the way, you may not want the fire department to know you have an acetylene tank."

From above post not good advice.......I am retired carrer firefighter from a large city and we had folks all over town with O/A rigs at home. I would just as soon know where they are.

OK, I figured that wouldn't fly, but around here you need a "welding permit", to use a torch or a welder, a fully dressed firefighter has to be there and be paid a minimum of four hours wages for *any* work involving welding or torch cutting.

Sorry about posting bad info.

OK, I figured that wouldn't fly, but around here you need a "welding permit", to use a torch or a welder, a fully dressed firefighter has to be there and be paid a minimum of four hours wages for *any* work involving welding or torch cutting.

Sorry about posting bad info.

WOW! Where in New England are you? Do the local welding/fab/repair shops and mobile rigs have to have the FDFF present there also? If not, one wonders if those shops had something to do with enacting that ordinance.

Bill

If it's the bottle valve itself and not something down the line you could still have a problem if you try and empty it yourself. Gotta watch how fast you draw the acetylene out. If it were me I'd not take the chance of either transporting it myself or trying to empty it. I'd have someone come and get it. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck.

Bill

so did you see the flames? and where were they coming from? do you use a wrench to tighten the nut?how old is the regulator?the sealing surface does go bad after a while no mater how good you treat these things.o/a rigs need to be leak checked every time you set up the regulators.and for the welding permit up north thank a union member who wanted to make it harder for you to do than calling his union .

Edited by meinhoutexas

.......... but around here you need a "welding permit", to use a torch or a welder, a fully dressed firefighter has to be there and be paid a minimum of four hours wages for *any* work involving welding or torch cutting. .........

Are you kidding me? What kind of place do you live in? That sounds pretty extreme to me!

Do you need a note or signed fire permit from the fire marshal to light the BBQ grill in the backyard too?

I apologize for my previous post on this thread. It was a little sarcastic and takes away from the original question asked regarding a safety concern.

Certain restrictions or regulations that seem perfectly acceptable to others cut across my grain at right angles, and I get a little "fired" up......I will show more restraint.

Are you kidding me? What kind of place do you live in? That sounds pretty extreme to me!

Do you need a note or signed fire permit from the fire marshal to light the BBQ grill in the backyard too?

This law does not apply to shop work, only field work, and as far as I know, only in Boston proper.