I Forge Iron

Best home fabricated hammer?

I have been looking for a power hammer for so long...so much research...still no answers. I want to make my own hammer with changeable dies. I want to be able to draw out up to 3" bar and still be able to work on smaller pieces or sheetmetal. Do I build a Rusty? Tire? I'd rather stay with mechanical rather that air since I don't have a compressor that is capable of the CFM that is needed for prolonged use. Any ideas? Plans? Thanks in advance.

WOW - 3" stock to sheet metal - hummm - when you get that figured out let us know. Not that it is not possible but realistically you might as well figure on a couple machines to do that amount of different work. Yes you can always work smaller stock with a bigger machine - that's quite a spread though. - keep us informed. - JK

I was speaking with Clay Spencer at Quad State, he mentioned finding the top end of ability of the tire power hammer at just about 2-7/8 thickness, with the stock dies, we discussed smaller dies and adjustments to the arms, he said it might allow for some thicker work, but that the strain on the hammer, and the time would probably make it not worthwhile. I have played around with 2 inch and it moves it just fine, and for the hobbyist, that is wayyyyy thick enough for me. I would endorse the tire hammer as the home built hammer of choice.

I know that you want to build a power hammer, but let me give you an option to consider... I pound 3" stock and work very thin copper in developing my work, and it can be done on the same hammer. If you check out my sculpture website James Johnson Metalsmith you will see copper roses that were textured with an Anyang power hammer. With this hammer, you do not need an air compressor as it is self contained and very few moving parts.

fireandhammer - How much experience do you have in working metal? I'm not triing to be nosey, just triing to help everyone know where you stand so we can direct you on the right path. Earlier when I saw the sheetmetal part of your post - that brought me back to my body shop days and use of a planishing hammer for thin sheet. Yes you can work a variety of sizes of material with the same hammer. Plans are available for both the Rusty types and Tire type hammers. I would suggest getting a copy of them (both styles) and after looking them over you can decide what is within your means of building one. As James Johnson says - the hammer's he supplies do not need air and are a good deal for the price. - JK

personal opinion below
An air hammer is the way to go for different thickness of work.
A commercial air hammer the further you lower the treadle the further down the ram comes. A mechanical hammer LG, tire hammer ect this is not so although with a a LG you can adjust the height before you begin with a wrench.

As for 3" you need bigger than a 50# hammer.
When you hit hot iron if the center bulges out of the end of the bar you have enough hammer. With not enough hammer the skin of the bar moves out over the center making a fish mouth which is hard on the material as the outside of the bar is moving more than the middle.

At the Guild of Metal conference there was a new style Kinyon air hammer. This set up allowed the height to be adjusted with a wrench before pounding. I think this hammer was in the 50# range but not sure. It was home shop built.

Like 781 (Rog?) above says there is working 3" bar, and there is working it. If you only want to texture it any hammer will do. If you want to forge it down, in a sensible number of heats your looking at a self contained 80lb+ ram, commercial mechanical or a heck of a home build :D

Appalachian Power Hammers

This is the address of the developer of Rusty and Dusty. I bought his plans and built a hammer using these plans as a guide. In some areas, I made significant dparture/improvement. In other areas I utilized Jerry's knowledge. My hammer is bullet proof and a high performer. I would be glad to share the improvements with you, if you buy his plans. They are a good investment, and when I built my hammer, Jerry spent a good amount of time on the phone with me, for example, telling me what size hammer I would need for the work I was doing, and what size springs I would need for that size hammer. Ted T. is trying to help me learn how to post pictures, when I master that I will post some pictures of the changes I made.

The beauty of the appalacian power hammer is that you can build it to be what you want. I built my hammer with 75# head. The frame and ALL the other parts were built with a hundred pound head in mind, so some day I can change the springs and add weight to the head.

This was my first posting here and I have to say I am amazed to have 10 replies in one day. To answer some of your questions:

- Jeremy K - I have been working with metal (sculpture, railings, jewelry, furniture, etc...) for around 15 years, on and off. I have had trouble keeping a shop and working as a stone mason as well, while renting.

- Jamesrjohnson - I will check that hammer out.

- I want the hammer mainly for working heavier pieces. I should probably get a planishing hammer as well for the sheet work. I want to be able to do long draw work in heavier stock for furniture and sculpture mainly, as well as forge pattern welded steel easier for use in my projects.

fireandhammer - updating your profile by way of the "user CP" on the top of the page will help you. That way those of us that read the posts may possibly let you know if we are close to you or refer you to someone that may be able to do a demonstration on a power hammer of theirs to help you decide on what you want to do. A street location is not needed but a somewhat general location helps to let others know were on this planet you are. You never know - there may be someone within a short drive that can help you out. To me it sounds like your wanting to be in the 50lb hammer range, by way of making it yourself or buying one - that's your choice as you know what your capable of. - JK