I Forge Iron

Trying to get some info on anvil marked ACME

I have this anvil. It has the acme name on it. All I have been able to find online is that Hay Budden and Trenton made them for Sears at one time. How do I find out which company made this one and the weight? The markings on it are - 170-99 596-. Thanks

17800.attach

17801.attach

17802.attach

17803.attach

Edited by chrispardue
photos

Welcome aboard Chris, glad to have you.

Someone will be along shortly and fill you in on your anvil, I don't have the anvil book.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members in more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know your around they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Based on the the oval depression in the base, I would guess it is a Trenton.

Trentons usually had their weights stamped on the front of the foot along with the serial number while Hay Buddens usually had their weights stamped on the sides. The serial numbers also indicate the year the anvil was manufactured.

You may want to contact Looney Tunes to see if it was one of the ACME anvils used by Wile E. Coyote during his prestigious film career which started on Sept. 16, 1949 with the release of Fast and Furry-ous. These anvils are highly sought after by collectors, yet none has ever been documented as to being in a collection. Kind of the Holy Grail for blacksmiths. The lack of anvils used by W.E.C. in collections may be due to the fact that they have never been released from the studio. Movie houses are notorious for recycling props for other movies. Then again it could be that they all went straight to scrap, as movie houses are also notorious for destroying some props. Could one have been snuck out, and now resides in a dreaded anvil collector's collection? Possibly. If it turns out that your anvil is one of W.E.C.'s, you sir have a very valuable anvil on your hands. I would suggest insuring it promptly, and keeping it secure, and protected.

If Hay Budden & Trenton are your two choices, it definately has the characteristics of a Trenton made anvil. I wish that I could give you more info but I don't have the AIA book yet (it's being shipped!) Best way to determine weight is to put it on the bathroom scales. None of those numbers look like they would indicate a weight. Nice anvil!

ACME was best known for explosives and bottle rockets. The W.E.C. period brought ACME into the mainstream for these products; not anvils. This is a common misconception.

If you know the retailer was Sears, why not check them as a source for the info you seek. They have excellent records on all of their vendors.