I Forge Iron

You know you're a blacksmith when......

........You get overly excited about scrap metal.

I went to a mini industrial area in my neighborhood that has this complex with a welding shop, mechanic shop, wood working shop, a steel yard and a small brass and aluminum foundry.

I asked a guy standing next to his truck as to who owned the lot between 2 buildings. (this area had lots of old miscellaneous metal parts and rusting equipment)

At first the guy thought I was a scrapper looking to grab some stuff and seemed pretty annoyed, telling me that they don't have anything to give away.

When I expressed my dislike for Thieving, Meth-using, scumbag scrappers that frequent our neighborhood, saying "They're so destructive and ruin a lot of things for a shop guy like you, and a blacksmith like me."

His face lit up and he asked "Ohh! so you're a Blacksmith!??!"

I smiled saying "Yeah.....one of the new ones, I'm just starting."

He opened up the gate saying "Come in, I'll see what I can find for ya!"

I had a nice chat with the guy, and he sure loaded me up with some good stuff. I will have to return with a box of doughnuts :-)

Here's a big spring off of a semi truck, set next to a 5 gal bucket for scale

Here are some Mud-flap hangers from a semi-truck....the guy said that I might want these because they're "spring treated" steel. They're all 3/4" solid square stock, so I suspect they might make good chisels and punches.

Here's a broken spring off of anothger big truck. You can see where it broke, so I'm guessing that the steel might not be very good quality.
It's going to be a big job to cut these springs down since they're so thick, and I have no cutting torch......

Here are more springs......obviously from a smaller truck.

[url=""]

I have no idea what these are, and I forgot to ask......Looks like it's a gearing shaft used in the big trucks........1 1/2" solid round stock of what I suspect is good machine/tool steel......

I'm really excited about getting all this material, and you guys are the only ones who understand why :-)

I have ideas on what to use this stuff for, because there's still a lot of really basic elements that I am lacking in my tool kit.
I'm eager to hear any suggestions you may have, because your ideas are probably better than mine :-)

One again, thanks for checking out my post.

Iain

17709.attach

17710.attach

17711.attach

17712.attach

17713.attach

17714.attach

sounds like you made a new friend. that's fantastic. the stuff you got your hands on im a little jealous. and as for the broken leaf-spring. its not bad steel or quality. it just went through alot of abuse being on a rig. but if your going to do alot of "scrap forging" i would suggest an a/o unit and a chop saw. they are indispensable tools.

I have made chisels and punches from mud flap hangers and they work really well. The shafts in the last picture are shaft that are used to apply the brakes on a semi also some good steel maybe 4140 but i am not sure. Have fun whith it and you have found a good friend and supplier for junk yard steel treat him well!!!
Gaylan

Good haul Iain.

Ayup, air brake "S" cams. You should be able to cut the leaf with a hack saw, spring tempered is nothing like HARD. It'll be a little chewy but not as bad as you think. I have a couple stacks like that I pulled from the heavy duty shop's scrap bin and cut it with my band saw, no problem.

Don't you just love how the, "I'm a blacksmith" line works? It's like a magic spell.

Donuts and some good coffee are in order for sure.

Frosty

I have a big ol hot cut that I chop those springs with (HOT of course). I bought it (minus handle) at a flea market for about $4 I think. I have also used a cut-off wheell in a 4 1/2" grinder... it gets dicey with the big springs though, and is slower than the big handled hot-cut. My torch would cost a lotta money to cut those up.

And there lies the danger! Once you luck onto a good source the temptation is to stock up on so much stuff you can't walk through the shop. I quickly found I could scrounge the stuff faster than I could give it away to other smiths. When it came time to move a smith friend with a small dumptruck came over and we went through the scrap pile me trying to give him all the "good" stuff, I only paid to move about a ton of scrap metal and most of that was wrought iron.

*Moderation*!

Not to argue.. but I got some big leaf springs from a truck shop... they would peel the teeth off my hacksaw in about 30 seconds. Light pressure and slow cutting same result. I use a circular saw with abrasive blade with several shallow passes. I deep pass doesn't work so well . Takes time... but gets the job done.

Wish I had got the several feet of 3 1/2 inch axle shaft they7 had take out. It was in 3 foot pieces. Can you beleive that they design a truck that you have to OA cut the old parts to get them out so they could replace them?

Well done and good luck
Cliff

Yes I could well believe that. I once had a car where you had to remove the hood and right fender to replace a heating hose, 2" longer on the metal fitting and you could have replaced it in seconds removing nothing but the hose clamp.

Also the dealership once told me that the way they replaced the sparkplugs on a Fiat sports car was to pull the entire engine!

You know you're a blacksmith when you're: overweight; wearing your balloon top decorative cap; wearing Carhartt bib overalls or Carhartt workpants with garish suspenders; over 6' 2" in height; frizzing your beard with heat; strong and sinewy; wearing a shirt size 19-38; able to look through a keyhole with both eyes...at once!*

*Just being facetious and fatuous [sort of].

Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools

Edited by Frank Turley

You know you're a blacksmith when you're: overweight; wearing your balloon top decorative cap; wearing Carhartt bib overalls or Carhartt workpants with garish suspenders; over 6' 2" in height; frizzing your beard with heat; strong and sinewy; wearing a shirt size 19-38; able to look through a keyhole with both eyes...at once!* . . .

Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools

Frank, I didn't know that we'd met. Except for the narrow beady eyes part that fits me to a T. And I'm not even a blacksmith, yet - just embryronic.

How are things in Santa Fe? That's the place in NM I miss the most.

Bill