I Forge Iron

RR bolts

loneronin

do you know which kind of steel is used for the RR bolts? I found some and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to try to make knives from them. I read in the US they use the RR spikes getting medium quality knives. the steel of the bolts is close to the one of the spikes? I also noticed there are different numbers on the head of these bolts. what do they mean? are they referred to the steel used? perhaps the carbon content??? someone already tried this road?

Edited by mod07

thank you for your help guys!

UnicornForge, if I'll decide to make a knife with these bolts I'll follow your suggestions to grind the thread to avoid cracks. I hate the cracks!!!!!!!!!

nitewatchman, tomorrow I'm going to take a pic of the heads and post it here so you will be able to check them.

Thomas and Frosty, ASAP I'll try the "breaching test" and I'll let you know the result.

here I am. the pic of my RR bolts. the first one has a rectangular head and "95", "S.S." on the round part of the head; "24 m UNI" on the rectangular part.
the others "SEI", "00" on the round part; "22 UNI" on the square part.

Edited by mod07

tell you what ... don't know about the bolts but those e-clips rock. have fun straightening them and pounding them into submission, but fine high-carbon steel - they made the hardest blade edges I've been able to come up with. nightwatchman once mentioned they can fall in the .80 - .95% range when I inquired about them.

Edited by overmodulated
grammer was too proper

yes, I know about the clips! actually I'm working on one of it. I streighten and flatted one. now I'm working to sand it flat. it seems really a good steel to me.
can you tell me how have I to heat treat my clip knife when it will be ready???
I assume I have to bring it to non-magnetic, quanch in the warm oil and temper it twice in an oven at 200

Edited by loneronin

The Coach Screw Spikes are not ours. They are sold by a domestic company but made in China. The material can be almost anything as long as it passes a tensile test and a bend test. We donot use this source due to the variability of the steel.

The chemistry of the steel tin the e-Clips sounds a little low for the carbon.

These are correctly called an E-2055 clip and were originally made by Pandrol until their patent expired. They are now widely copied in China and India with varing results.