I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification

Dimensions 23 1/2" long 4" wide by 9" high.
The prichet is about 5/8 and the hardy is about 7/8 inches.
Hour glass base with a square hole punched in the center.
There is an extra hole in the foot under the horn end. I put a piece of paper in it to make it show better in the pics.
Can anyone give me an idea about the age of this anvil.

I've been told it's a Peter Wright .

There is a small step in the foot at foot under the horn and under the tail end.
The numbers 1 0 5 are heavily stamped into the side.

Some lettering is punched in a circle. I can make out OLT near the top or the circle and possible HT near the bottom of the circle.

The lettering isn't too sharp and I may be wrong on it.

No cracks, not sure what it's made of but there is a little swayback near the horn and a little mushrooming there also.

Can anyone identify the anvil, and did I pay, more or less, a fair price?

See pictures at Pictures by dickb_2009 - Photobucket

my peter wright don't have any circle on it and the horn is different i'm thinking its some thing else but than again i'm not an expert or even close to one as for what you paid you didn't say what you paid but in my opion i'm cheap and will waint for the deal i like i refuse to pay more than 150 but than again i live in jersey (and your not that far either)were there were anvil manufacturing in the tri state area so i have seen alot of anvils for sale the thing is do you feel you got a good deal

Depending on the time it was made PWs can have "Solid Wrought" in a circle on them. The flat along the front and back feet is a pretty good indicator of a PW too.

Orgtwister; have you read "Anvils in America"? One of the ways you can date some anvils is by the variations in what's stamped in them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...