I Forge Iron

Pure Iron Bracelet

I'm hoping someone here can help me or point me in the right direction. I have a rare anemia from a genetic condition that keeps me from absorbing iron orally, and IV iron is too dangerous because of reactions.

I'm trying to find a way to absorb iron and would like to try wearing a pure iron bracelet. In the sports field we use copper bracelets for skin absorption which helps with arthritis, but it's a lot easier to work with and find pure copper.

I would need the purest iron available and I'm not looking for anything fancy...just hammered sheet or even woven wire would be fine. Is that possible to do? I know the Sikh tradition had iron bracelets but now it has switched to primarily stainless steel and I can't find any for sale.

Thanks for any suggestions -

Jan

Have you asked your doctor whether it is possible to absorb enough iron through your skin to have an effect on your anemia? I am not a doctor, but I would be really surprised if you could absorb enough from a bracelet, or even a bathtub full of pure iron powder through your skin.

The two purest sources of iron rod:
- Wagner Companies says that it no longer makes Pure Iron but some smiths may have a small personal supply. Link to Wagner Company's Pure Iron
- Iron pulling wire - used for pulling the iron wire through mechanical dies to make the small wire for screens.

I might also mention that my humble understanding is the any uncoated iron bracelet is going to develop surface oxidation, so the surface touching your skin is likely to be ironoxide not pure-iron. Perhaps the alchemists on this site could provide a better explanation.

I don't hold to the theory that much copper is absorbed through the skin until you have a nice green band around your wrist. So maybe it is the same way with iron. Maybe just a nice wrought iron bracelet would do. If you want to get serious about absorption I would think that you would want to bath in a solution of chelated iron water. I have a friend that drinks chelated silver water to improve his imune system. I also think he is nuts.

Thanks for the replies. I wrote a response but it got thrown into the ozone layer somehow so I'll try again.

I have communicated with a researcher who says that it is possible to absorb iron through the skin in small amounts. It seems to work best with certain enhancements like an oil as a carrier and that might also slow oxidation. Since sweat contains chlorides I'm assuming the form is probably going to be ferric chloride. It would tend to turn a purple/dark gray color (like copper turns green from chlorides). I don't expect it's going to be a large source of iron, but for me a little is definitely better than nothing.

I have seen serious cases of acne clear up after adding iron filters to home water supplies so I know iron affects the skin by providing a medium for bacteria to multiply. I don't want to soak my skin or get too much...our municipal water supply has no iron at all so that's not even a daily source of exposure for me.

Since many women are iron deficient, if I see any positive results (which I can easily detect with a hemoglobin meter) it could turn into a viable product for those of us who don't tolerate or absorb oral iron.

I thought a thin woven wire might be best since wrought iron is a bit rough. I have a copper bracelet made that way that is easy to get on and off (kind of like a torque). I saw one iron bracelet online made by a blacksmith that was interesting, but I don't need anything quite that fancy:

Iron Bracelet

I need to avoid several metals including manganese. But the main problem seems to be a mutation in the gene that regulates iron absorption in the intestines. I can eat 1/2 pound of red meat a day and see no change in my red blood count or serum iron. There are a couple of other complicating factors which I won't go into, but at this point my only choices are transfusions or iron IVs...the last transfusion I had nearly killed me and I have had a relative die from an iron IV so I'm not really eager to experiment.

Jan

Alright, so if it affects iron salts and proteins alike, it sounds like a faulty enzyme (if not that, it's some other "iron from food to iron for blood" conversion problem), and I can see how the IV iron could be dangerous (since all humans are pretty sensitive to iron overloads).

Just as another idea, I wonder if you could more effectively absorb iron through the mucuos membranes (gums, nose, etc.) than through the skin, and if a carrier compound like dimethyl sulfoxide could increase the absorption through the skin.

On a side note, while looking for more info about DMSO, I found an odd article. Apparently it's is already used as a carrier for iron, but for plants. Weird stuff.

I have tried cooking in cast iron and iron utensils would be similar, but I don't absorb iron that I ingest (at least not enough to keep me from being severely anemic).

I have looked into DMSO as a carrier, but I have to avoid exposure to sulfur containing compounds. Not many options...at least not many that are worth the risk!

Jan

.......I thought a thin woven wire might be best since wrought iron is a bit rough. I have a copper bracelet made that way that is easy to get on and off (kind of like a torque). I saw one iron bracelet online made by a blacksmith that was interesting, but I don't need anything quite that fancy: Iron Bracelet by Tudor Ironworks

Three simple options:

- Wrought iron does not have to be rough as it can be filed and sanded for a smooth finish. You could purchase a small old wrought iron hinge at a flea market or antique mall, cut it to length with a hack saw, bend it to the C shape of a bracelet, and then file and sand the edges and surface for silky smoothness.

- If Tudor Ironworks already makes bracelets from Pure Iron have you considered purchasing one from there? You could very likely commission Tudor Ironworks to make you a bracelet without decoration so that it would be more affordable for you. A short length of 1/4" by 3/4" flat iron bent into a C shape should be affordable. Purchasing ironwork from one smith versus another smith should not make that much difference in price.... unless what you are looking for is someone that will make it "on the cheap" or make it for free.

- Iron mesh for screens are made from nearly pure iron wire. Have you considered purchasing a piece of window screen material that is sold by hardware stores to repair window screens and rolling some into a roll, bending it around your wrist, so that you can see if it helps? If it has a finish on it, you could lightly sand the screen material before rolling it into a roll, to remove the finish.

it is my understanding that in the point of the copper braclet is not absorbed the studys were done by Tessler and it is the C shape that causes a electical field like a magnet. I an sure that iron will work but copper is a better conductor. What was explained to me was you should ware one around each wrist, ankle, and heck. to aline your own field. I have a firend who has done research there is a mand who cured cancer in the 1930 with radio waves. I will ask him about iron

really interesting thread - my dad and my sister both have iron absorption problems, i will be interested to see if your braclet helps - like you said a lot of women have permanent iron deficiency too. Keep posting with your results Jan and best of luck with getting on top of your problem:)

the iron in welding rods are mostly iron I've been told.
The the additional elements are added to the weld by the flux, this msds seems to support that theory

http://www.selectrode.com/pdf/msds/207.pdf

anyhow it is an area to look for a more available source of iron, as always mfg's specs vary

oh yeah, welding rods in most cases (do not) want carbon added to the weld....so maybe it is true
my .02

is this what you mean
Urban Dictionary: rtft

if so... i don't care for your attitude.. .... clean that up abit...

actually after reading abit more about iron absorption ... its a complex problem...
Iron Absorption

if you can't find the pure iron bar... what getting some of that Armco pure iron powder, or hoeganaes iron powder and doing a type of canister weld.... then you'd have the barstock to make the bracelet..... they may even have some pressed barstock scraps if you email them ( may get lucky )
Hoeganaes Corporation: Prealloyed Iron Powder Metallurgy, Atomized Iron and Steel Powder, Stainless Steel Powder

also... ebay sometimes has the pure iron powder.. or other pure iron samples.. that maybe a way to get it...

good luck ....sounds like an interesting project
Greg