I Forge Iron

Tempering a cold forged sword

Hey,
I just signed up not 10 minutes ago. I was wondering, could one buy a P.A.C. (piece of crap) sword on ebay and temper it? I wouldn't be very good metal, and you probably wouldn't be able to take the furniture off to temper the whole thing. But at least it would hold an edge. Right?

We have a section dealing with hardening and tempering all kinds of blades.
Not all of the blades purchased for not much money are made from inferior alloys.
Some are just poorly treated when they are manufactured. The requirements for edge holding in swords is very different than than of hunting knives, and knives used as craft tools. Different edges, different alloys for different purposes.

Please read our heat treating sections and then you will be able to ask questions that we can answer with factual information.

I was wondering, could one buy a P.A.C. (piece of crap) sword on ebay and temper it? I wouldn't be very good metal,

Probably not. You would need to know the content of the metal first. Find out the specific alloy then research its ability of that specific metal to be hardened and tempered, and the specific method of heat treatment for that alloy.

...and you probably wouldn't be able to take the furniture off to temper the whole thing. But at least it would hold an edge. Right?

Again, if you can't even take the furniture off, probably not. Blades are usually heat treated bare of furniture.

You might benefit from reading this thread: http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/asking-experts-13325/#post123985 Edited by UnicornForge

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

Probably not, you have to know a lot more about heat treating than you seem to, to even determine if it's something that can be hardened.

Heck, you have to know more to even ask good questions. For example, you don't start the heat treating process by tempering, that's the last step.

No problem though, there's plenty of expertise and good reading here to get you on the path if you're willing to do the reading, listen and practice.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know you're around they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Forging is changing the cross section of a piece of metal by force---either by hammer, drop forge, etc.

No steel blades are "cold forged"! They are often stock removal---done while cold--but not "forged".

As was mentioned you need to know the alloy to do a proper heat treat. If you don't know what alloy it is you need to take a piece(s) of it and experiment in heat treating to see if it is an alloy you can heat treat to the specs you want.

Note this will generally take quite a bit of time and equipment; enough so that you could have probably mowed lawns and bout a *good* sword to start with.

If you want to learn; start by making knives either by forging or stock removal.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. Charlotte, thank you, I will read the heat treating sections. Frosty, while I admit you're right, I don't much about heat treating. I did know that tempering comes last. I only had about 10 minutes to be on the comp before I had to leave, so I was trying to be quick. Thomas, I understand that you can't actually "forge" a steel blade with cold metal. I apologize for my lack of clarity, I was using slang for an P.O.C. sword thats not been heat treated. Again my most sincere thanks to everyone.

It kinda depends, some junk swords are better than others... barely.

I once bought a "ninja sword" from a renaissance festival for 8 bucks. after about a week, the sorry excuse for a tang that most of those swords have had broken off. so i heat treated it, by quenching the edge first, which made it curved (at the time, I was ignorant as to the danger this could be) and ended up accidentally tempering it (hahaha) i drilled holes in the now full tang, screwed a piece of wood on each side of it and BAM! a sword that can be safely used was created. and by used i mean chop those annoying grape vines that don't make grapes. Does this improved sword hold a GOOD edge? not by any means, BUT it does hold an edge better than it did when I bought it. I was REALLY lucky though. Try it, but be careful, and don't waste too much money buying pieces of junk.

Edited by Zanzetuken