I Forge Iron

Lifting a #325 anvil onto stand

urnesBeast

To pigstye the cribbing you would put down two pieces paralell say 18" apart then put 2 more pieces at right angles to the 1st 2 pieces again 18" apart, then do the same for the next layer, alternatively 90 degrees for each layer, much as a bricky would build a brick pier for a house. If you put all your packing/cribbing the same way it will become unstable and fall over. Did you guys not play with wooden blocks as kids and try to build the biggest tower. If you are using railway sleepers for packing you may be putting your sleepers 4 or 5 feet apart. It all depends on what size and length your packing/cribbing is.

I've attached a picky showing us installing one of our hammers, we are using railway sleepers for packing here. Note how the packing is arranged at 90 degrees between the layers. We also have steel rollers on strips of spring steel flat under the hammer on top of the sleepers to roll the hammer backwards over the anvil. The hammer will be rolled backwards using 2 men one on either side with a levering with a heel bar. Once we have moved it back we will "walk" the hammer down onto the anvil, each end a bit at a time, packing as we go, about 2" at each step.

17265.attach

• 8 months later...

A 325 isn't that heavy! Why not get a couple of slings- chains or strong webbing- and get a long piece of scaffolding pie, or similar, and get a few men round it? If that is too much then get some blocks of timber and lift it half the height, alter the slings and lift the second half. If labour is a problem then put 1 end of the pipe onto something strong and lift the other end, put that on a trestle etc. It really is simple.

I have lifted a couple of 280s onto tree stumps and not had any problems- that was lifting on my own BTW.

My anvil is only 200# but I had to get it up on the stump alone. I had to give up on "lift" because of a weak ceiling. Instead of "lift" I tried "slide" I built a ramp out of scrap lumber and "walked" the anvil up the long slope and onto the stump. With 325# maybe two persons could do the same.

• 3 weeks later...

2 x sixpacks of Sam Adams in the 'frig.

you + 3 friends.

2 x 6' scaffold poles

15ft of blue rope

Cat's cradle around the anvil

Insert poles

Lift anvil into place with much shuffling and grunting

Drink the beer.

you + 3 friends.

2 x 6' scaffold poles

15ft of blue rope

Insert poles

Drink the beer.
Ye shall go far with solutions like that. Just a thought a few more 6ers. let friends have it all then let them lift it.
ken.

you + 3 friends.

2 x 6' scaffold poles

15ft of blue rope

Insert poles

Drink the beer.

;)
Just be sure to let your friends know how much you think of them to ALLOW them to handle your anvil for you. (Have you read TOM SAWYER?)

;)
Just be sure to let your friends know how much you think of them to ALLOW them to handle your anvil for you. (Have you read TOM SAWYER?)

Yea, but then you may have to give some lessons, and that takes fuel and stock. Depending on which friends, that mat be cheaper than beer.

Phil