I Forge Iron

workshop from scratch!

Hello Colleen,

I'll be moving back to my family origins next year, a fair bit North and West of you. I hope to be up there introducing my wife to the Highlands later this year, while we look for an area / place to settle in.

Smithing is something I do for pleasure not a career, but it would be good to know the best places to order from and who is reliable.

If I give you some notice any chance of a chat and some advice about suppliers etc.? And to have a nose around your workshop too... every time I look in someone else's workshop I see a blindingly obvious good idea that I should have thought of ages ago.

G.

Hi All, more pics to come soon!

GNJC, send me a PM, we could talk about a lot I think, I have a keen interest in Blacksmithing in far flung places too!! It is a shame that we in the Highlands are penalized for living in such a place with very high surcharges on deliveries, sometimes if companies will deliver at all!

Coleen, this is my swage stand. It has a leg vise obviously attached to it. The stand is just 4" square tubing ripped with the plasma and used like angle iron for the top. The vise end has some plate welded on to it and some bolts up through the plate to hold the back of the vise. The bolts are wheel bolts and they have wheel nuts (countersunk heads and fine threads) on them. This was laid out and drilled prior to welding on. This whole affair is attached to the main welding table by a piece of large rod welded from the back of the swage stand to the table back. Makes it stable and of course puts the vise in the loop for the welder or plasma. Actually the stand is welded with tubing from the top and bottom to the welding table. I get pretty rough in the vise sometimes and yes I can make the vise shake if I'm really rough. However, it is more than adequate for my daily needs. The bottom of the vise is just in a piece of pipe that is welded to the bottom of the stand and very secure in that regard. Glad you gettin to do some work and the pic you show is indeed very nice.

16443.attach

Edited by Ten Hammers

Ten Hammers, that looks like a good set up. For the moment I've got my swage blocks on the raised stone hearth which is perfect height! Will have to rethink that when I get a coal forge going, but I like the idea of using the weight of the swage block to counter the weight of the vice. I've also been thinking about using an oil drum filled with water, an idea that I found somewhere on this site- I don't have water plumbed into the workshop, so have to fetch it from another room in the barn, at the moment I've just got a bucket so that would solve two problems. If anyone else has a vice mounted on a drum filled with water I'd be interested in seeing some pics.
Anyway, I had a really productive day today, and here's some pics of the surrounding area, the river is the River Lyon, which I drive along to get to work, the other pic, not very good is of the front of the barn, I had to stretch over a stone wall to take the pic! My workshop is at the back of the barn, which isn't quite so pretty!

16463.attach

16464.attach

16465.attach

16466.attach

Colleen I really enjoy looking at your work (being art compared to my forged work). Not that I wish to belittle myself I just don't equate myself as being an artist.

The vise stand of course was set up for my working height and I see that you already have a nice working height in a permanent structure. Life is good. The weight of the swege is one thing but the vise stand being freestanding and attached to another fixture at the same time (hope that made sense) is where the utility of the piece shines. I am certain you will have things done in your own time and own fashion. Thanks for the pics of the area and surrounding buildings. Looks homey to me.

Sweet location Coleen, I love the architecture.

I like the swage block vise stand combo too, I can think of a couple advantages to what I have which is a timber stand. It has a step so the block can stand on edge and a larger top so the block can lay flat. In either position the working height is the same.

I used to have my vise mounted to a 55gl drum but no pics. It's a super simple set up though, weld a bracket to the drum for the bench plate and another at the bottom for the leg and it's good to go. I found having a 55gl drum of water on hand convinced the fire marshal I was fire safe without the fire extinguishers. And with the lid on the drum made a very stable handy table top behind the vise. All in all I liked it.

Any fish in the river?

Frosty

Frosty, do you find that there are any stresses in the metal on the drum when doing heavy hammering/twisting etc? That's the only reservation I have about that set up.
Anyway, there's salmon and brown trout in the river, if you can afford the huge fees to fish there! All exclusive privately owned...

Today I caught this lovely girl on her way to the feed bins! She is lucky, the hunting season has opened, but her and her friend will escape the cull as they have little fawns that frequent the field behind the wall, where a couple of Highland ponies reside, and the pet sheep of the head groom!

Put a stem and leaf on the flower too!

and thanks John, I am so glad I went with one of Dennis' gas forges, metal artist one. It's perfect for what I do. Can't wait to get that coal forge going too!

16518.attach

16519.attach

16520.attach

Edited by tzonoqua
added bits!

The drum held up well, even in heavy use but the bracket I welded to it was pretty large. I made if from 1/4" x 10" x 18" and arched it to fit the drum. The bracket to the vise was from channel iron. It was quite solid.

Were I to do it again I'd make a separate stand for the vise with a large foot to set the drum on and a strap or chain to bind them together near the mounting plate. That way I wouldn't have to mess with welding on a drum, I could use any handy drum and the drum would be easier to move without brackets welded to it.

Just wondering about the fishing, I haven't wet a line in years. I don't like combat fishing and when the salmon are running you almost have to fly in somewhere to avoid the crowds.

No deer in our neighborhood though we do have a local version.

And YES I stand outside in bear feet. ;)

Frosty

16521.attach

My god . . .

My heart literally leaps when I look at your photos, and to think that your forge is in what was probably the original smithy on a scottish estate.

Just breathtaking. It just seems like a personification of what this whole metal-smashing thing is all about . . . bringing beauty to the modern world through an antiquated craft. I couldn't imagine working in a real antique smithy. It's like life imitating the artform. amazing.

you're a lucky duck.

Colleen , i aquired this idea ( stole realy ) from another AUSSIE smith .

Make an adapter plate for your vice & drop it into the hardy hole of your anvil .

When not needed rest it up against a wall outta the way . Works GREAT while demoing , should do the same in your shop .

STA70509 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

STA70506 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

STA70512 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Hope this helps with ideas for mounting your vice

Dale Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
bit of an update, Frosty, I moved my table to the window, really makes a difference. Still haven't made a proper mount for my post vice, making one to slot on to the anvil is a great idea for a portable set up , but I would need it there permanently and I'm concerned about it getting in the way of working on the anvil too. As you can see I'm using a pathetic little plastic bucket as a slack tub, so I think I'll do the drum mounting for the vice, just waiting for one to be emptied by the farm.

Finally got my big anvil moved in and got more of the flower finished. It needs some more leaves to balance it out, but I'm fairly happy with it so far.

Anyone ever done t-cut on galv? I've seen some photos of work that makes it look almost verdigris, am thinking that would be a nice finish to the flower. My clients originally wanted to go with stainless but after finding out how much it costs have decided to stick with ms, which I'm kinda relieved about!

17042.attach

17043.attach

17044.attach

17045.attach

I use T-wash which is an etch primer. I like it as a finish because you get away from a solid colour and introduce tone, more natural for sure. Large surfaces take on stone or lead qualities. The verdegris you refer to, i have seen and im quite sure that it is a quirk of a specific brand of T-wash. Which one i dont know. Make sure to rinse off with waterto nuetralise.
:)

No i dont have any photo of the verdegris of sometimes purple tones. I would think that any colour would eventually weaken as the zinc oxidises, hence it being temporary in nature, you could capture that with a laquer mind. Just to illustrate the tones i mentioned.

17063.attach

17064.attach