I Forge Iron

practice tasks for the aspiring?

Well I have been practicing making various bends, tapering, forming things into round or square shape, and isolating sections that I want to work with. It is taking a lot of practice and I'm not so great yet, but I thing each of these are the basics you need to know to smith well.

S-Hooks are pretty good to practice with, you can taper the ends, make bends, round or square the hooks, even put twists and scrolls if you have a mind. From what I hear S-Hooks can sell pretty well to. Anyways, I am interested in seeing what more experienced smiths will say. I also would like to know what the essentials to practice are.

It doesn't matter what you practice making, repetition of the various tasks, not projects, and paying attention to what you're doing and analyzing how you're going wrong and improving is the important thing. You can practice making S-hooks until the end of your time and they won't improve if you just keep repeating the same mistakes.

Some will tell you to keep making simple things and that's good for the start. Quick projects gives instant gratification and keeps you from becoming frustrated and allow you to see the problems right away. Don't just stop there though. Always keep pushing yourself. Just don't forget, no matter the project, they're all made using the same techniques so don't loose yourself in the immensity or the intricasies of the project. Always remember, every project is made using the same techniques that are in every blacksmithing book. That's why they're in every book.

As for quick projects: S-hooks, Steak-turners, Hoof-picks for horses, Small hooks, Nails, Rivets, tent pegs, straight end pokers, Fire rake for your forge, simple S-style bottle openers.

Look at blueprints on the site. Also, Anvilfire has some good projects too.

Tongs are a great tool for practice as they include a variety of techniques that one will use often. Best part is when you finish, you have a usable tool (hopefully):D

When I have a limited amount of time (or not), I like to practice making nails from 1/4" round stock. You can have a finished nail in three heats or about 1-2 minutes. one heat to taper, one heat to cut on the HC hardy, one heat to head. Simple... yes but it has some basic skills required and the hardest one is consistency. Once you get consistency, speed can be the next challenge. Then you can get decorative with the head dressing.

i thought, practice, repetition, tongs and tools. and lots of it?

For my thoughts, I always view practice as making permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect!

I was always told that you can "take the measure of a blacksmith by the quality of the tools that they make."

But and its a big but.... I had ongoing training within an apprenticeship system.

Set projects with specific qualities of the outcome.

The first project was to make six chisels - cape, gouge and a diamond bit. Two of each, one for surface work and one for deeper work.

Then I had to carve a 1 inch cube void into one side of a 2 by 2 block. This soon showed me the quality problems of my chisels and their heat treatment.

I don't know how many times I made those chisels and started carving out the cube void.

Do what you do well and look honestly at the results. Forge with your eyes open and look at what is happening to the steel as you work. If it didn't do what you wanted it to do then you hit it wrong!

If you always do what you've always done - then you'll always get what you've always got before. Look at your results and question your technique.

Match the hammer angle to the taper angle and avoid hammer marks in your piece.

Tongs... yes - but make them well.

Alas, I'm starting to ramble...

I find it interesting how people come asking for projects to practice only to learn it's not the projects but the practice itself that is what they should be looking for. Everything else comes down to whether you have the patience to finish the project you choose knowing the end result may not be what you hoped and have to start again.

And yet, so many have been quick to just answer other threads with, S-hooks and nails and lots of them. I know I got told the same stuff in the thread Ted mentioned Rich pointing out it's perfect practice not just practice that makes things right after being told that I just needed to practice more without being given tips to aid in that perfect practice.

And treat any project no matter how "simple" it might be as if it were a high quality project. How you do the simple tasks reflects upon how you will do the rest of your work. The "quality" of your work shows through in the end. I've seen too many people who won't bother with quality if they don't think it is worth it on a project. It is considered beneath them and their ability, so they don't care about how it ends up.

So put the "quality" into any work you do. It all shows up in the end. And the "simple" projects tend to show the "quality" of the workmanship much faster. Be proud of what you are doing, and let it show in your work - especially the simple things.

Ooops, slipped into Soapbox mode. Sorry about that.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Had too many years dealing with college students doing work/study jobs. Since it was just for min wage, and just part of their financial aid package, it was seen as beneath them and their abilities. So too many barely did more than just show up. To them it just wasn't worth any more effort than that. I told a bunch of them that based upon how I saw them work in that work/study job, that I would never hire them for any job. Because that "who cares" attitude would eventually creep back into their minds no matter what the job was. A few saw the ... lesson. Most just got upset at my "attitude" because they would work harder/better when they were paid more! I just told them that they never would get paid enough to do their best work.

1. Square stock to square taper, varied lengths, go for a smooth taper.
2. Square stock to round taper, again smooth even taper. Then do round stock to round tapers.
3. Fishtail ends on various stocks, flatten, then start to bend over the edge of the anvil, flip it over and back hammer roll it toward you. Experiment with different hammers.
4. 90 Degree bends, use a vice. Then go on to a "90 Degree inside AND outside bend".
5. Smooth Roll Bends over the horn, Rings if you have the patience, or work up to them.
6. Twists, square stock, then round with a flat spot hammered in it. Experiment with the edges, so you get different results. Use a 1" section, and note how different number of revolutions result in different looking twists.
7. Forge welding after you learn hammer/fire control.

Use small diameter stocks to start, they heat quick, but they also burn up in the fire quick, forcing you to learn fire control, but not costing alot if you make mistakes.

I don't have time this week, but if you would like sample pics of each, I will see what I can whip up on Saturday? :)

Edited by unkle spike

Thankyou for the reinforcement. i just had to keep making them,( whatever the item ) till they were constantly consistant, or they wouldnt sell. and when was taught another skill, that repetition turns a repetative action into a fluent and powerfull reaction.

i just wanted to know if i was passing on good advice and tasks that would improve ones ...."eventually becoming comfortable, consistant and quicker with the small repetative awkward jobs". and with charcoal, they will learn along the way the fire control or end up with a puddle. and i suppose if they want to learn they will.

a couple of pics would be great thanks, at your leisure. unkle spike.

and thankyou all for your sound advice.

Start with the blueprints find something you WAnt to make and then make a minimum of a dozen of them the try another one. Do not start with someth9ig that is above your ability slow down and learn. This approach will get you farther quicker that rushing ahead. If you make a dozen and they are still not right make another dozen..If yo make six and the last one is a fine piece of work move on.