I Forge Iron

Working Atlantic-33

I've been given a piece of Atlantic-33, a Flutegon. I would like to make a rounding hammer head out of it. Any tips on heat treating. I would like this head to be pretty hard for cold working copper etc. How far into the orange or yellow spectrum of heat should I take it before quenching. Its a water quench steel, so I'm wondering if I should use running water, standing water or warm standing water.
Thanks guys-

Funny you ask - Just this morning I made a punch out of the same stuff -Atlantic 33. This material is a forge/grind to shape and air cool.......That's how I was told to use it - simple as it gets. I'm not sure how/if it works if heat treated - JK

Funny, I got this stuff from Brent B. as part of his free gift program:D... He did give me tips on working it but I wanted other oppinions and experiances. Bye the bye, I use one of his hammers now and love it!!

Jeremy-
I was told NOT to heat treat by Brent. Depending on how hot (Hi orange, Low yellow heat) it was when quenched is what determines hardness. THATS IT. Got to love that:)

I printed Brents article on making this hammer with Atlantic 33 ...he says after you finsh forging to anneal it in vermiculite or ashes then grind to the final profile.
he says Atlsntic 33 is a water quench alloy that requires no tempering.
he goes on to say in a coal fire use a pr of flat jawed tongs to turn the hammer from pein to face until both ends have been heated to a bright red or low yellow color. the area surrounding the eye should show very little color, perferably none. when the pein and face have reached the desired temperature, quench the entire hammer in water. up and down and sweral around...I copied the article from his web site but when I went back it was not posted any longer... hope this helps

Here's a link to Brent Bailey's hammer making article:

http://www.calsmith.org/techniques/hammers/baileycrosspein.pdf

I came across it by happenstance the other day while browsing the CBA's website. I was glad to find it again as I had not been able to located it for some time, and didn't think to print out a copy.

Ian Wille

Thanks for the link Ian.

Glad I checked in this morning because I'm off to a friends shop for a couple days of smithing. Rounding Hammer and a cross pein are on the agenda. The flutegon I got from Brent and 4' of axle shaft 1 3/4"