I Forge Iron

I found this anvil, what do you guys think?

It's a 178# Trenton

My birthday is Friday, so maybe this one is meant to be mine....... The guy wants $400, but asked if $350 is acceptable to him, no answer yet.

What do you guys think about the crack in the weld between the top and bottom? Better than most I've seen around here, I really hope he goes down on the price a bit.

thanks for looking

Iain

15913.attach

15914.attach

15915.attach

15916.attach

15917.attach

Edited by mod07

If it's been used for the age of the anvil with out cracking farther than that I wouldn't worry about it. If you get it mark the depth of the crack so you can see if it moves at all. It can always be ground out and welded in if it does move. Main thing is to clean up the face and weld up the face edges back to sharp, except about 3" or so closest to the horn. There you need a radius on both sides.

Good Luck and Happy Birthday!

A lot of the more modern anvils were arc welded at the top-bottom join. If it really worried you you could do likewise.

Does it have a serial number on the front of the foot?

The face looks in good using condition and I think that $2 a pound would be a good price for your location.

I paid $450 six months ago.Mine is a 175-180 pound Trenton.I don't think it is a crack,mine has spots there that look alittle like that.I hear they were forge welded there,it might only be a cold shut.Like Fe-wood said, see if it rings,mine rings very easy.

The edges are fine... most I would do is maybe smooth the edges a little with a grinder. If the rebound is good (I am pretty sure it will be) and it doesn't have any dead sounding areas when tapped with a small hammer it looks like a bargain. I paid $650 for my 253 pound Trenton. They are quite good anvils in general. A helpful bystander who RAN (literally) over to help my son and I load it told me that he had 4 of them in his shop. Hammering on my Chinese ASO previously I was unprepared for the experience of using an anvil with real rebound!

Depends, is it made out of metal? :D

i just recently took over my grandfathers home..i remember sweeing this old funny looking(and heavy) thing in the basement..i found out its an anvil...i remember it 30 years ago and i know it was down there many years before that...is this worth anything??

Sure it's worth something, most any anvil is worth something. First you got to know what kind it is, how much it weighs and what its made of, wrought iron, cast steel, cast iron. If it just an ASO it may not be worth more than scrap but if it is a Hay Budden or a Peter Wright it will be worth more. So it all depends is the best answer anyone can give you sight unseen.:rolleyes:

Most if not all the forge welded anvils I have seen have what appears to be a crack where they were welded toghter. Some are really visable some you have to look real hard.
ichudov I don't know where in IL you are but I visit Joilet area every Sept. (mom in laws
bday) in 4 yrs I only found 2 anvils both crap both over $3lb I now have (4) enough. If you are within 60 or so miles of there I may have time to visit.
Ken

I think it's a good value - not too expensive but not really a bargain either. I agree with BigFootNampa, the edges are fine - the heat from welding up the edges could ruin the hardness of the face - imho, leave it alone.

i just recently took over my grandfathers home..i remember sweeing this old funny looking(and heavy) thing in the basement..i found out its an anvil...i remember it 30 years ago and i know it was down there many years before that...is this worth anything??

This should be in it's own thread - please don't hijack another thread.

Most if not all the forge welded anvils I have seen have what appears to be a crack where they were welded toghter. Some are really visable some you have to look real hard.
ichudov I don't know where in IL you are but I visit Joilet area every Sept. (mom in laws
bday) in 4 yrs I only found 2 anvils both crap both over $3lb I now have (4) enough. If you are within 60 or so miles of there I may have time to visit.
Ken

I am in Lisle and would love to have you stop by.

Igor