I Forge Iron

I have a treadle hammer!!!!!!!!!

So this past weekend we went to a craft fair. In short the whole thing was HORRIBLE and we made a total of negative $20.00. (I.E. we came home with $20.00 less than what we left with!)

Well, there was another blacksmith shop there at the craft fair. A regular shop with roof and walls! One of the smiths who was demoing through the weekend had a treadle hammer pushed over in a corner obveously unused.
SOOOO, I figured, "uhhhh all he can do is say no." Sooo, I asked the owner about it and he said "YES!" $300 "hmmm says I.....$300? ehhh." I agonized over spending $300, all weekend! Finally I decided that I would get it and we loaded it after some dificulty, on my trailer!

I am not sure what is the exact weight of the hammer blows. But it does move steel much faster than I can with a 2.5 lb cross peen. I used it some in the shop there just to see how it worked. I have it set up at the house here and hope to use it tomorrow!

15839.attach

15840.attach

15841.attach

15842.attach

Edited by mod07

Great score, you should be really happy with that.

One question, the hammer doesn't tend to wander sideways in use does it? I can only see the channel at the back as its guide. Just wondering because I have been looking at plans and that is a simple as it gets so if it works well I have just knocked a whole lot off my plans.

It's a beautiful smile isn't it Forsty! LOL LOL LOL

Soory I just couldn't help myself.

So I got to use the hammer some yesterday. Did a 12 inch taper in 3/8 round and about half a leaf on the end of it in 20 minutes. Now that's slow to most of y'all, but for me it's moving. I wasn't even using the hammer really hard as it is still awkward to be hammering with my foot. :D It usually takes me twice that long to get just the taper when I am using the cross peen. (It's a 7 ft bar so I'm fighting the weight of the steel while I hammer which slows me down.) With the treadle I don't have to fight the weight of the lengthy stock so it was really nice!

I'll get a video of it working soon and I'll be sure to post pics of the finished curtain rod when I'm done.

Dave

Lovely smile Dave just lovely. ;)

Don't you have a blacksmith's helper? As in a stand to hold or steady long or ackward stock.

It'll also get faster as you discover just how you like everything adjusted. Just don't start adjusting things much till you have some time on it.

The human body is a marvelously adaptable piece of machinery that easily compensates for little things and given time major things. Machinery (mechanical that is) can't adapt at all without human help and little changes can have BIG consequences. So, let your body make the adjustments it can and only adjust the machine for the things your body seriously doesn't like.

Frosty

Before I could afford a power hammer, I built a parallel-link treadle hammer (like the one shown). I didn't use it much until I started to make hammers (forging, repousse and specialty). Then it really got a workout, cause punching the hammer eye was near impossible, alone, by hand. Then I built a guiotine fuller (with interchangeable dies) for it, and began chiseling, it then became indispensable. ;) I use it nearly as much as my power hammer. I know that everyone wants a power hammer, but building a treadle hammer is cheap, a good intermediate step, and profoundly useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some pics of the work that comes out of it!!!!

These are some of the curtain rods I am doing for the house. The limbs on the end are obveously just random. I did the taper and the octagon with the hammer, as well as the taper on the oposite end.

DSC02523.jpg

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02525.jpg

DSC02526.jpg

So there it is! The hooks that hold the curtain rods up are 1/4 inch round and were tapered with the hammer as well!

Dave

• 1 month later...

They're not a wasted effort if you need one. Think of them like a fly press in their uses. Chasing, incising, tool and die striking, etc.

They are not particularly so good for general drawing but are still faster and hit MUCH harder than a hand hammer. A treadle hammer is better for general smithing than a fly press but a power hammer is the answer for general smithing anyway.

Like all good tools they have their strengths and weaknesses, can be pushed outside their designed purposes with more or less success and once you own one will become indispensible. ;)

Frosty