I Forge Iron

a leaf shaping tool

While reading Mark Aspery's 2nd book, "the fundamentals of Leaf making" I came across a tool for working on curled leaves. It was yet another "aha !" moment for me as I have had some problems with leaf curling and working on them in that state. His pics and instructions are so well done, even I can pretty much get it done. So the following pics are my 1st attempt with this tool, and his leaf with a twist of my own, a stamen I have seen somewhere else. The Mrs. went shopiing and I had about 3 uninterrupted hours, and I made the most of it!!

Anacanthus leaves aren't they? A very good first attempt at what is known as the pinnacle of leaf development. I have made many simple leaves, by various methods, yet never attempted the legendary anacanthus, primarily due to a mental block I have about compound curves. Amazing the help of a good book.

ah never mind divermike! I spent too many hours reading the forum last night and still didn't finish, its probably all part of the mysterious world of forums (this is my first).
It certainly is a neat jig, would it make rolling the second stage of scrolls easier as well?
tnx 4 pics :)
Andrew OC

Edited by AndrewOC
more thunkin

Hi Divermike,
I second other`s comments above, really never mind delayed answers, it happens all the time. There are many who appreciate the time you take with your didactic straight to the point, and very ilustrative tutorials. Personally, I have learn something from every single one you have posted. Those leaves look beautiful. Please keep posting even if we answer late. Thanks. nelson.

Hi Divermike,
I second other`s comments above, really never mind delayed answers, it happens all the time. There are many who appreciate the time you take with your didactic straight to the point, and very ilustrative tutorials. Personally, I have learned something from every single one you have posted. Those leaves look beautiful. Please keep posting even if we answer late. Thanks. nelson.

Yeah that's right Mike, it's that awful. It's Soooooo bad it made me stop talking to the whole forum a good week before you posted the pics. ;)

In truth I like the tooling and am thinking I'm going to have to put Mark's books on my registry for those times Deb is wondering what I want.

I've been scarce lately for a couple reasons, mostly my connection speed has been near zero for quite a while now. I finally had a local computer geek come out and after almost 5 hours, reformatting, reloading, etc. etc. I'm connected well enough to start checking in again.

The other reason is I took a retirement job delivering rental equipment.

Anyway, the leaf looks pretty darned good. A few more copies to develop you technique and you'll be popping out acanthus leaves you can't tell from the real ones. ;)

Frosty

ok, I'm now officially off the worry chart. Thanks for the feedback, as I'm still a bit new to forums, I was wondering if I had broken some unspoken rule or something, glad to know it was just you all have so much to look at, do we have a good life or what? My buddy the auctioneer called me yesterday, and he has a hardy and a pair of tongs he set aside for me, when I get them, I'll put them on "look what followed me home". Frosty, welcome back, you were missed!