I Forge Iron

Moving to East Michigan

Shoot you will be within driving distance of Quad-State come September! Great place to buy new and used equipment, books, materials even without the 5 or so top notch demo's going on simultaneously!

There are a couple good groups up that way, Patrick how close will he be to the one your are in?

There is a fine group called MABA, Michigan Artists Blacksmith Assoc. look em up and they are a great group of people, and they have a fantastic magazine for members, if you email me private, I will send you the contact info, as I am also a member there, as they meet near my farm in Springport once in a while.

You should definitely join MABA (MABA, Michigan Artist Blacksmith Association), it is a great organization with lots of helpful people. Are you moving to Detroit or one of the surrounding cities? I'm about 45 minutes north of Detroit myself and occasionally make it to the MABA meetings. Quad State in OH wont be far if you are looking for a great place to grab some tools and knowledge.

With the way people are moving out of Michigan, you will have no trouble finding a place to live. In fact, if your buying a house you WILL get a very good deal. I escaped Michigan five years ago. Lived there all my life. As long you have employment, you will find anything you want there. There was an ad placed a year ago for a Big Blue power hammer in Pontiac. Priced very nicely too. Good luck!

Interesting. I work from home, so I'm bringing my job with me. Yeah I am hoping to nab some good deals on tools and equipment. We're moving to a near-suburb of Detroit, not far from the junction of 75 and 696.

And if I can keep business steady enough, yeah I'd like to pick up a house/property too. It's kind of hard for a young self-employed with a limited credit history a home loan. Being self-employed, no matter what I make, classifies me as sub-prime.

Oh... and I have not seen great deals from U-Haul... in fact I'm pretty horrified on what they want for a trailer. I might buy one instead.

Green Field Village does have a blacksmith shop, but unfortunately they don't have a working Blacksmith anymore and as far as they told me were not interested in getting one at the time. But, it is a great place to go and they do have a glass blowing shop that is always running not to mention all of the other cool stuff there. It should be just down the road from you.

1860cooper,

Welcome to the broiling, no freezing, no... Well, welcome to the midwest, from another Oregon transplant. I moved to Akron with my family a little over a year ago and am just getting my own forge together here. I had access to several forges in Oregon, so never saw the need for one myself, but now that I am missing the craft, I have to make do for myself.

I am hoping to make it to Quadstate in September myself, maybe we'll get to meet.

Best regards,
Tim