I Forge Iron

Chili Forge Tabasco Haba

Avadon

Thought I would share some pics of my new Cayenne Forge. Recieved the Cayenne a few days ago. It was packed in excellent condition with incredible care. All things wrapped individually with bubble wrap, cardboard and tons of peanuts. It came in two huge boxes. Really impressive. The welds are really nice and the forge is incredibly stout. It's a fairly good size unit and at max psi ~20 it puts out an insane amount of heat :o . Even at low PSI this thing really pushes out incredible heat. I can't see any need for three burners when you can just have two superburners. A picture is worth a thousand words so I thought i'd take some pics today to show you my new setup.

# Chamber Openings: 9"W x 3.5"H Front & Back
# Interior Dimensions: 9"W x 4"H x 16"L
# Weight: 65 lbs.

If you have a Tabasco, Haba

15358.attach

15359.attach

15361.attach

15362.attach

15363.attach

15364.attach

15365.attach

15385.attach

15386.attach

15387.attach

Edited by mod07

I bought a cayenne about a year or so ago-gets heavy use. The thing is a work horse. If I am doing production stuff and am not careful, it'll pretty much melt what's in it if I am runnning it really hot. Last job I was putting 8 5/8" square bars in it at a shot, cranked it up, and was able to run the air hammer non stop. Just parked it an arms reach away from the hammer and went to town. I would definitely recommend this forge.
Great for welding too. It made a big difference in the job when I was pulling 1500 or so tapers.
Mark Emig

@Kasper, yah this is a great forge for general blacksmithing and blademaking. Hard to beat it. Of course no forge is going to do everything because different work requires different setup. So for armour people usually use an oxy/acet torch, weed burner, or some type of more open burner since the heat is not as necessary for sheet but you do need the opennes for the complex shapes.

@Greebe Their prices on their website. They told me that on a 20lb tank it will run for a few hours. So they reccomend a larger propane tank if your going to use it heavy. It was just all I curently have on site. Lowes has 100lb propane tanks for like $150. Thinking about one of those from lowes or just renting/owning from airgas.

Come winter time i'll certainly not have to worry about heat in the shop. ^_^ But until then I'll have my fans on bringing in as much air as I can.

With my forge I had to run 2- 100lb tanks to avoid freezing up. If you run at a high temp, which translates into high flow rate of propane, one can is not enough. With one can I found that after you get below 1/2 a tank, the pressure dropped off to where I couldn't get 10 psi from it. I manifolded 2 tanks together and the problem was solved.
Mark

With my forge I had to run 2- 100lb tanks to avoid freezing up. If you run at a high temp, which translates into high flow rate of propane, one can is not enough. With one can I found that after you get below 1/2 a tank, the pressure dropped off to where I couldn't get 10 psi from it. I manifolded 2 tanks together and the problem was solved.
Mark

Woah.. that is a serious operation. So it's like a can of air, once it gets half way down the pressure drops and the cylinder starts getting all frosty on the outside? Is that because the liquid cannot turn into gas fast enough? :confused:

I've seen idler valves but I bet if you were inventive one could just rig some kind of on/off foot petal that sends the forge from idle into a desired setting.

Avadon, Nice pics of the forge. I just had a long talk with Stacy about purchasing Cayene. I am just waiting on Paypal ** **** ***** and the Cayenne will replace my Forgemaster.

Nice, i'm excited for you! How long did they say you have to wait? I had to wait about 2-3 weeks. Maybe they are less backed up now. Your gonna love having it. Christmas in July! lol :P

I'm ordering some extra ITC-100 from them so I can coat the extra protective shelf I bought and the rear insert. I don't know if that will really amount to anything but it doesn't hurt. Edited by mod07
quote edit

Those are their models. I only have a Cayenne but i'm hoping others here might have some of the other models. I haven't seen the other models outside of pics on their site. So I was hoping someone would post them.

Cool I have only tested the cayenne for a few mins so far. I have a fabrication project on my table right now that is taking center stage, but when that is done i'll test the psi ranges but I bet they are pretty close throughout the line. After you got your Tabasco did you ever go back to your coal forge or was it basically a one way evolution. I hope I still use my coal forge from time to time cause I did put a lot of work into it but the ease of use of the gas chile forge almost makes it hard to justify all the setup and time spent outside doing the charcoal thing.

As far as I understand it is because the liquid cannot turn to gas fast enough to keep up with the demand. I tend to run about 15psi when I am working-brings the material to forging temp way faster, and for me as a professional trying (and I emphasize trying) to make a buck, seconds count-especially in large production jobs. Love the forge, great service from the company. I have a coal forge also. I use each forge according to the type of work for it, like if I am doing a lot of pickets and such I use the propane forge. Then I don't have to pay close attention to the fire and can concentrate on forging faster and more efficiently. If I am doing odd shapes or forging wrought iron I use the coal. With wrought iron I like to start at a welding heat and stop at a medium orange. I find that, for me, the propane just won't get hot enough when dealing with wrought iron.
Mark

• 2 months later...

I was interested in one till I called and got an answering machine,looks like they are the only seller............sure would hate to be in a bind for parts,talking to a answering machine.
Dont mean to hijack this thread but,I am in the market for a portable forge for farrier work,any suggestions ?
thanks and good luck

Just leave a message, they actually return calls all the time, even Saturday and they're pretty quick getting back to you. Stacie Star is the one who handles all their business communication and she's really cool. It's actually easy to get parts from them. Often times they'll even ship it to you the same day you bought. There a small shop so they're hungry for orders. Generally they are making the part you purchased and shipping it the same day. I ordered parts from them and they were all to me within 2-3 days. That's much faster then you can get from most big outlets. A lot of people port around their smaller forges (Tabasco and Habenero) but I don't know anything about farrier work so you should ask them.

chili forge rocks...i have a habenero for a couple of yrs and i never had anyprobs with welding...i use a 60# tank...i run 1 burner most of the time .... i tried to rebuild it cause the borax just ate everything up...well i could get the kaowool out but not in so i called dave and asked for advise....he said send it back he will rebuild it and bring it up to date for the cost of parts and shipping...cool deal...they r very nice people! I am glad thats the route i took in the begining......

jstout- I bought a forge from them a couple of years ago now, biggest one they make. Great forge and outstanding service. Nice people too. Small company, but they will work harder for you than the big guys will. Just redid the ITC-100 on my forge, lasted almost a year and a half doing full time forge work. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Mark Emig

jstout,
They are made in San Marcos. If you are out of Sisterdale Texas, that isn't too far from you. He is a member of Balcones Forge and has let the group use his forges on several occasions. I know of several members that have purchased Chile Forges and have yet to hear a negative comment. All are very pleased. Balcones Forge meets on the last Saturday of each month. This months meeting will be in Llano.
Jerry

What would make this forge better than NC or Forgemaster? I am looking for a forge to do general blacksmithing and would want to forge stock a few feet long.

A lot of people have the NC and Forgemaster forges. I investigated them both extensively before buying the Cayenne. Both will certainly do the job well. In some cases the price was just far over then what I wanted to pay, and in other cases I didn't like the cast iron components or the fact that some parts I couldn't replace without the company assistance. One thing I like about the Chile Forge product line is that if anything goes wrong you can fix it all yourself or get parts from anywhere. It's kinda like the P.C. clone version of the computer. After talking to them I also came to the realization that they had studied both the NC and Forgemaster forges, which have been around quite a while, and improved upon the designs without adding several hundred more to the cost.

I also couldn't see spending 500-1000$ range on a forge of which I could only see one picture, sometimes only a black and white picture and no video of it in operation. If possible go check out the forge in person. Seeing is believing.

Here is a video of the Cayenne during it's first run. This video is at low PSI. When you crank this thing it's insane heat. I really didn't want to destroy my brand new digital camera. lol A lot of times people just run one burner. I definitely would buy another tomorrow given the opportunity.

http://home.comcast.net/~theonyxabyss/aa/forge/cayenne/030.MOV

it's 26 megs so it will take a sec to d/l