I Forge Iron

Teach me about hammer grips

MetalMuncher

Greetings everyone!

I have been having issues with my hands. As you might be able to see from the photo, I have a blister from my hammer handle. The handle is not rough or anything, and I dont like using gloves because you cant feel the hammer. Heres the photo...How exactly does one hold a hammer properly? I have also been having pain in my forearm. Tennis I think...I hope not hehehe. I dont hold the hammer with my thumb flat against the handle or anything...to my knowledge, I'm holding it properly. Any help, tips or photos would be great! Thanks guys! Cheers!

15320.attach

That sure looks sore! When I was doing lots of hammering I had a callus there, how much hammering are you doing on a regular basis? If it's almost not daily you get lots of blisters. I also never had any trouble with my elbow as I used my shoulder mostly to move the hammer not wrist and elbow. After all of the years of use of my shoulder I do have a few twinges there but then again I did lot of big bore rifle and 12 ga. shooting, that will do some damage.

As far as the blisters, after awhile you should get some calluses there. It sounds like you know how to hold a hammer so I'd say you just have to tough it out till you get callussed up. With the elbow pain it could be just that you need to get in the 'swing' so to speak (ha ha) and it will go away as your muscles get used to it. On the other hand my elbow hurt a lot for awhile and it turned out to be that the anvil was not on the right level so I was having to do funny stuff with my arm to get a square hit on it. You might check to make sure your anvil is at a good level for you.

Check out BPs in the 1000 Series... numbers 65 and 66 Hofi Hammer technique. I like the techinique, but its hard for me to learn. I am a carpenter so driving nails is the strt of my swing. Being mindful of the difference is imortant, but I a getting better about it.

I think blisters and callusses are part of hammering! Either sand off a bit of the handle that is rubbing, or a little hockey stick tape maybe.

I bet one on the pinky between the fingers, Some thing you have to live with, it comes from the action of the handle, and it pulls the skin under my ring finger.

In the time it took to type this, 3 other answers got posted!

I've got a callus where that blister used to be on my hand. It's from the end of the handle rubbing back and forth. As for the proper technique, I don't know if I'm following the Hofi style much but from the pictures of me, I seem to use a similar technique. Personally, I'd rather have the blister there from letting the hammer pivot than my wrist damaged from doing the moving for the hammer. A smooth handle will help with it. I also get a bit of a blister between my thumb and index finger from the hammer pivoting there too.

I used to frame houses with my dad and the old guy he worked with taught me to "milk" the handle like you would a cow. That way the snap comes from your fingers pulling on the handle rather than your wrist which is really important with a lighter hammer as it's the snap that works moreso than the weight.

Your sore forearm may be due to muscle fatigue as I get sometimes after a long break from the forge, or tendons. Either way, take it easy and take breaks when you start to get tired or you will wind up with tendonitis in your elbow. And remember to stretch and if you need to, alternate heat and cold on it.

Looks like you need to look at Uri Hofi's blue prints on hammer technique:
BP1002 Hofi Hammer Technique | Blueprints 1000
BP1001 Hofi Hammer Technique | Blueprints 1000

Hofi also has a CD out that is worth the money, you can SEE the proper technique of using a hammer. You can PM Hofi here on IFI to get a copy. Blisters, although a pain, won't last long. Messed up elbow and shoulders take a LONG time to heal.

there are a few exercises you can do that will help with the pain...put your hands together as if you were praying , bring them to your chest and point your fingers down and push each hand against the other . another is to fold your hand down and use the other to push against itand hold . do both hands this way . try it before you start to work if yoou start to feel pain do it somemore also when your done

I also hate gloves but, because I play guitar, I took the time to find ones that I have good feeling with. They are tight and not easy to put on and off but they have saved my hands and fingers many times already from cuts and burns. It's also easier to wash the hands after a session!

For the elbow, when I feel some pain, I do a very fast extension of my arm as if I would want to get rid of my hand or reverse slap something. I repeat a couple of time untill I feel that the elbow is 'freed' from the blockage causing the pain, usually accompanied by a 'clung', somehow like what chiropractors do with the neck. It works for me...

Good luck

They make bands that go around your upper forearm to reduce the strain on the tendons which will help reduce the amount of pain you get in you elbow and forearm, but if you already have a considerable amount of damage it will take a long time to heal but if you go and see a physical therapist they can get you set up with exercises that will help with recovery as well as build strength where needed to help prevent further damage down the road. I know this because I did enough damage to mine that required me to have surgery a couple years ago, and that wasn't fun so if you can avoid getting that bad, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

welder19

Personally I like to make my own hammer handles and I like them to have a larger diameter where I hold them. This gives me more control with a softer grip. I also like the wood unfinished and carefully textured. I find that smooth sanded handles are too slippery for me. I like to use a surform tool in a sort of drawfiling technique and then I do a little coarse sanding that softens the texture but leaves most of it. I'd start with the handle design and finish and then you'll find it easier to hold properly.

There's some liquid skin stuff the basketball players use to add tough layer over tender skin.
Holding the hammer too tightly will contribute.
Tennis elbow...don't push it..it can become chronic and the devil to get rid of!
Go to a lighter hammer till the pain stops. Lift palm up, not back of the hand up...roll your hand around the handle some so that the back of your hand isn't on top of the handle..same is true for all forearm lifting till the tendon heals.
Use the rebound of the impact to assist starting the hammer lift , but keep the butt low until the hammer head is nearly vertical over your hand before you lift the whole hammer close to your body. This trick will allow you to swing a heavier hammer. Keep your elbow tucked in.
Shift to progressively lighter hammers as you tire.
That helped me a lot...Clang

I'm going to through my support for the "Hofi" style of working. It takes some time to understand and get used to but boy, at the end of the day you can get a ton done...without blisters. I've used two other hammer holding meathods over the years and Hofi's style is the best. Hands down!

The Hofi method of hammering has allowed me to keep hitting hot metal. After breaking my shoulder a few years back, I thought forging was over for me. It took months of practice using a drill hammer, modified to a poor copy of the Hofi hammer, to rid myself of old habits. I now have a 3# Hofi and it has become my primary hammer.

Thanks guys! The pain isnt in my elbow however, its on the bones just before my wrist. I'll get over it hehe. I dont actually smith that much, but my hands are pretty messed up from going to the gym...my girlfriend complains lots. Just wondering if I was doing something wrong. Thanks for your help dudes! Much appreciated.

Greetings everyone!

I have been having issues with my hands. As you might be able to see from the photo, I have a blister from my hammer handle. The handle is not rough or anything, and I dont like using gloves because you cant feel the hammer. Heres the photo...How exactly does one hold a hammer properly? I have also been having pain in my forearm. Tennis I think...I hope not hehehe. I dont hold the hammer with my thumb flat against the handle or anything...to my knowledge, I'm holding it properly. Any help, tips or photos would be great! Thanks guys! Cheers!

I would say that both the friction spot (blister) and the elbow pain are not to be ignored - or at least ignore them at your peril.

Whether you choose to use the Hofi style or the more 'traditional' style of holding and swinging a hammer, the idea is to hold the hammer handle with the most relaxed grip that you can.

If your hammer handle is round, I think that you need to hold it quite firmly in your hand to prevent it from turning as you work. Rasping some flats onto the sides will allow the hammer to stay in place with less effort.

Keep your thumb off the top of the handle!

Hold your hand in the air now - in a relaxed grip.
Now place the knuckle of your thumb on top of your first finger knuckle - can you feel the muscular tone going through the hand and the wrist.

Dress the face of the hammer for success. A flat faced hammer is anything but. Mine have about 1/16 inch rise from the edge to the center of the face.

This will allow the hammer to track right. That is up and down in a vertical channel (allowing for a more relaxed grip) If the hammer face is dead flat then unless you hit the anvil (or stock) dead flat, the hammer will ricochet away from the side that hit first necessitating holding the hammer with a firmer grip.

Keep your elbow in towards your body.
The elbow joint is like a screwdriver placed into an indent. Keeping your elbow in will allow the joint to move as it should. Keeping your elbow out will be like prying the indent apart with the screwdriver.

Anvil height is also a big factor. If the anvil is too low you may be hyper (over) extending the elbow with each hammer swing.

Have you removed the factory finish from the hammer handle? That is put there to protect the handle during shipping and will make it harder to hold, control and use the hammer. You should also shape the handle to your hand. I didn't see if you said what material the hammer handle is, wood is best.
There are a number of different ways of holding a hammer that may or may not work, I use more of a carpenters hold because I've done more carpentry than anything else. I also frequently have my thumb on top (heresy I know) and there is nothing wrong with that as it fits will how I hold and swing the hammer (if you are interested Streeter in "Professional Smithing" shows a picture of "correct hammer grip" with the thumb on top). The most important thing is to not hold the hammer with a death grip. The pain in your arm may indicate you are holding to tight (or are using too heavy of a hammer). One possible cure for holding the hammer too tight is to use a bigger handle. I make most of my handles and make them bigger than most folks like. I also make a definate oval cross section to facilitate correct oreintation of the hammer.

ron

Thank you everyone! You have been a great help. My main hammer, which is 2.5 lbs, has a round handle, I will shave some wood off and hope for the best. Thank you once again Mark, as always, big help! I will admit, my grip is pretty tight on the hammer...I will loosen up. Thanks guys! Cheers!