A Peter Wright anvil followed me home today. It has a round logo Peter
Wright Solid Wrought or some such. Inside the logo there is a big,
prominent number 3 stamped. To the right of the logo there is a number
10 stamped.

Am I correct in interpreting it as 3 hundredweight 10 lbs, or 334
lbs?

thanks

Igor

Put it on the bathroom scale. If your suspect it weighs more then the scale is rated for, use a board across two scales and add the readings.

If those marking are the English hundred weight markings, there should be 3 numbers. The first is hundred weights or 112#, the second number 1/4 weights or 28# and the remainder the left overs, in pounds.

For instance 2+1+3 is

2 x 112
1 x 28
and 3 left over

Or it could be that this is marked with the OLDER English stone weight markings. So it could be 3 Stone and 10 pounds - where the Stone is the old 20 pound Stone.

I have a T shaped stump anvil. On each of the 8 flats around the base just above the mounting spike that sticks down into a hole in your stump has a big 3 followed by a small 1 stamped on it.

Otherwise we are back to that English Hundredweight system. So it could be interpreted as 3 x 28 + 10 = 84 + 10 = 94. That first digit is not always necessary nor present - especially if the anvil weights less than 112 pounds.

Putting the anvil on a modern scale will ... tell the tale.

Mikey

Edited by Mike Ameling

Hmmm lets see ....... how was it putting it on the truck ? That's a good indicator if it's 300+ pounds !

Guys, I am going to weigh it, as soon as practicable. I have a crane scale, not too accurate for the purpose (2500 lbs max), but it will give me a good idea.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to part with your old anvil - unless you really have to financially. You will be surprised to find out how much you like having a second anvil about the shop. Of course, having an extra anvil in the shop is almost an open invitation to friends to ... play along.

Mikey

p.s. Most anvils by the major manufacturers are pretty standardized in their markings. But exceptions do exist. Like the Henry Armitage Mouse Hole anvil in my shop. Exceptions and re-markings of anvils happen.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to part with your old anvil - unless you really have to financially. You will be surprised to find out how much you like having a second anvil about the shop. Of course, having an extra anvil in the shop is almost an open invitation to friends to ... play along.

My friends are invited anyway, and my main limitation is space.

A smaller lighter anvil comes in very handy for doing road trip demo's and anvils don't take up much space, You can stack them 5-6' high along a wall...

My wife calls my anvils my "harem" as the collective noun for them.

Since I have a crane in my truck, loading this 208 lb anvil into my pickup is not a problem at all. Takes maybe 2 minutes.

Great now when the demo site is 100" from the closest place you can get your truck to---if you're lucky.....! Plan for the worst at demo's---it will happen!

I'm due to see my Dr about back problems tomorrow; I wish I hadn't schlepped a large anvil to demo's when I was a young lad now.

Great now when the demo site is 100" from the closest place you can get your truck to---if you're lucky.....! Plan for the worst at demo's---it will happen!

I'm due to see my Dr about back problems tomorrow; I wish I hadn't schlepped a large anvil to demo's when I was a young lad now.

Actually, yesterday, my back DID hurt from lifting that anvil... :-(