I Forge Iron

I have now got the other two (see my earlier posting). When I get chance I have first got to get an accurate weight for each of them. From the dimensions and my judgement I think the big one is about 340# and the little one maybe 130 to 140#. I shall post my thoughts on them both when I get chance.

Still got to make the rebound meter and get the magflux tester on them. I hope to get on with it all fairly soon.

Edited by philip in china
Typo

I'm not sure i'll ever understand this company. Perhaps they are in the design/testing phase still? I mean I see the gallery of their art, but not a single color or even b&w picture of the anvil. Just a cad graphic. That wouldn't instill a lot of confidence in me if I was going to purchase one. Even a google image search doesn't turn up a pic of them. They are going to need to up their marketing and advertising if they are going to try to compete with Nimba, especially right at their backdoor in Spokane.

:) shrug? scratch, i dunno

Seems like a lot of anvil companies seem to put all their effort into the anvil and little or no effort into selling them. I couldn't live without my Gladiator anvil but Nimba doesn't really have a very good website to advertise the quality of their anvils. A few grainy black and white photos from odd angles is about it. Would it really hurt some of these companies to post a dozen high quality high res photos of their anvils and maybe a few youtube videos of someone demonstrating the anvil. After all if your paying $500-$2,500 for an anvil it's really the least they could do.

This is probably the best site out there Anvil Brand as far as ease of information and purchase. You can actually buy the anvil right there on the site. Amazing what these fancy shmancy computers are doing these days. lol :rolleyes:

Avadon, you touch on a subject that applies to a lot of budding smithing businesses. I have seen many talented smiths post really crappy photos of their work. I cannot imagine the photos representing the smiths work generating much business. HIGH RES, PROPER LIGHT, ONE COLOR BACKGROUND, USE A TRIPOD!!!!!

Philip, you should email that snapshot to Incadescent Iron Works ASAP so they can put it up on their main page. One picture is better then no picture. If you like I will even clean it up a bit in photoshop, (make the picture look a little more appealing), pm me if interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK sorry it has been a while but I just don't get onto this site much these days.

I put the middle sized Rhino onto a very solid concrete base. I then let the students forge on it and have been using it myself. The results are all very good I am pleased to say. I sort of miss the step that I have on my Brooks but that is the price of a double horn I suppose. Certainly I am very pleased with the performance of this anvil.

I have done some heavy (14 pound sledgehammer) on the 320 pound Rhino and again it has held up very well.

Steve McGrew who makes the anvils will be along at the end of the month and we hope to do quite a bit of forging together on all 3. I haven't used the baby size very much yet but judging by the others I expect it to be very good as well.

• 4 weeks later...

We left the mid sized rhino on the concrete base and made up a couple of stands out of scrap angle and channel for the small one and the big one. The big one responds just as you would expect a 300+ pound anvil to respond. It certainly doesn't move much! The little baby one I was using is about 130 something like that. It has terrific rebound. I was very pleased with all 3. That half horn is a really useful shape. They also have retained a step although being almost a double bick design and I do like my step. I am sure a more skilled smith would manage without either of those features but I really like them.