I Forge Iron

welding training

What is a welding training? so, first of all if you undergo welding training it means that you want to be a welder, so what does a welder do? Here are some basic ideas on what a welder do from day to day, a welder specifically joins pieces of metal with metal filler, using heat or pressure, welders also join parts being manufactured, they build structures and repair broken or cracked part, according to specifications. So now that we know what a welder does, we’ll then proceed to welding training, basically all I know about this is that welding training helps plant maintenance workers develop a working knowledge of and learn the theory behind gas and arc welding techniques and heavy equipment operator, also the cutting of iron, steel, pipe, and nonferrous metals. That is what a welder literally trains for I guess, aside from the more advanced stuff. So I conclude that being a welder requires a lot of patience and hard work, as it is not an easy job, and that welding training is tiring but would pay off once you finish it.

Edited by mod07

This will be my opinion. Welding training can be started at a young age. It can involve simply being told not to look at the flash of electric welding ( as I was trained and also my kids and grandkids ). This understood, many will go no further and stay away from welding simply because it is dangerous.

Those that are bitten with the bug will hopefully ask for permission to operate equipment prior to getting shocked by an electrode while inserting it into the holder (standing on a damp dirt floor). I have the welder that shocked me at probobly age 6-7. Belonged to my great uncle.

Formal training can start in school. Electric (stick) and gas (oxy-acetelyne) were my formal training. Safety was stressed and if I learned anything it was what NOT to do in many instances. I also had further training in the Military and some in college level. Most of my training however was from experienced welders in the field.

Welders do everything from soft solder to all process welding. This includes brazing with silver solder and gas welding. Welders today can be certified bridge welders or light manugacturing egg basket welders or building light furniture. They can build car crushers with pulse mig or lawn and garden equipment. They can run robots and may or may not be qualified to repair bad bot welds.

To me, the most important part of welding training (other than safety) is to learn to read the puddle. If you do not allow whatever electrode you are using to fill the puddle and then move on at the proper rate to build the weld then you are wasting time. This skill can make you run down the street with your hair on fire on occasion and gives even seasoned veterans trouble. Patience is a virtue. I try to learn something every day. Some days are better than others. I have had some excellent teachers but I have been a poor student many times. I will say this. Welders are responsable to make poor fabrication work. When finished goods go out the door, the welder will the last in line to be blamed for problems most of the time. Poor engineering may or may not come into the conversation.

When I took welding in high school, I always welded with my headphones on.

Also, on the shocking thing. Only time I ever managed to get shocked was going to remove a TIG electrode and forgetting that my foot was resting on the control. That only happened once.

Nichole, it would be very helpful for you to give us a notion where you are located.
I don't think you have a clear notion of your audience. Many if not most of the subscribers to this forum have at some point received formal, or informal training in one or more welding processes.
As has been pointed out here there is one big hurdle in learning to weld, and that is make and run a puddle. After that professionals have to learn how to do it upsided down, backwards with water dripping down their neck snow in their boots and the boss in their hair. Professionals are expected to do it first time, everytime, with out fail, and no test failures. The only difference between professional weldors and surgeons is that weldors occasionally get do overs.

As an amateur I have learned a great deal from my professional friends. When I have a problem or task in from of me I ask my friends how they would do the job. I can run a puddle, but I don't have 30 years experience behind me. There is a whole world of dipsy doodles that working weldors learn, and amateurs may see only once.
I rely on the Lincoln Electric Co's "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" for factual information and process paramaters. I've noticed that my friends were trained out of that book or one just like it.
If you have a question you have only to ask. There is a whole world of people here that have the knowledge and resources to answer nearly question you might have about metal working. If they cann't find it they will point you to some one who does know.

If you are already an expert please show up your work so we may learn.

Rikadyn: Well, obviously you never welded out in the pouring rain! Or down in a coffer dam where it "rains" perpetually. Or laying under an excavator in the mud. Yeah, we got conditions! Good thing I don't teach welding, I'd have the students layin' on the floor, then when they got they're hood down I'd hit 'em with the hose!

Ms Charlotte: Where in Louisiana are you? Been awhile since I had some real C-A coffee! Always loved 'Nawlins, too bad the way things went. You seem to really know your stuff, Ma'am! Alway enjoy your input. Don't sound like a silk and teacup kinda gal. Sorry, us senior citizens don't know from P.C. I'd bet you're up there near Mon-row (we call it Munro). Close?

Edited by nakedanvil

Oh Grant, throwing realism into schools is SOooooo politically incorrect!

How about crawling upside down into the belly pan of a Nodwell dripping with hydraulic oil and grease to weld up a failing weld?

Oh sure, I could talk about the snow melting off the drill and the fact that there isn't room in a belly pan for a skinny guy and what MY chances of getting out quickly in the event of a fire would be but that would be too realistic.

About the chance of burning to death in the belly pan of a Nodwell, I always had the rest of the guys standing by with fire extinguishers ready to blast me and then jerk me out by the feet if necessary. It wasn't a guarantee but it was better than nothing.

About weldor training, there are many different levels and virtually ALL your questions will be answered if you take the most basic industrial arts welding class. Art welding is a whole different thing and personally I don't consider it welding at all. I'm not dissing artists but proper welding means human beings can trust their lives to your results and that is NOT part of "Art Welding."

Frosty

Guest mod07

We will allow this thread to remain because of the high quality and good information provided in the replys, and have edited the first post to remove the spam URL's.

Edited by mod07

Grant, I'm in La Place, which is where I-55 starts and intersects with I -10.

Yes, Andouille Festival town up Airline from N.O. Will have to send you a care package.

Grant, btw, I'm officailly retired. I spent all but 6 years of my working life in industry and 20 of that with a Industrial Gas manufacturer. Always was curious even as a child and stuck my nose in everything. I learned early on that the best way to learn something was to ask the people doing the job.
Charlotte.

Rikadyn: Well, obviously you never welded out in the pouring rain! Or down in a coffer dam where it "rains" perpetually. Or laying under an excavator in the mud. Yeah, we got conditions! Good thing I don't teach welding, I'd have the students layin' on the floor, then when they got they're hood down I'd hit 'em with the hose!

Sounds fun.

But given the IQ of some of the people in that class...prolly only 5 of us would of survived. Edited by Rikadyn

Oh Grant, throwing realism into schools is SOooooo politically incorrect!

How about crawling upside down into the belly pan of a Nodwell dripping with hydraulic oil and grease to weld up a failing weld?

Oh sure, I could talk about the snow melting off the drill and the fact that there isn't room in a belly pan for a skinny guy and what MY chances of getting out quickly in the event of a fire would be but that would be too realistic.

About the chance of burning to death in the belly pan of a Nodwell, I always had the rest of the guys standing by with fire extinguishers ready to blast me and then jerk me out by the feet if necessary. It wasn't a guarantee but it was better than nothing.

About weldor training, there are many different levels and virtually ALL your questions will be answered if you take the most basic industrial arts welding class. Art welding is a whole different thing and personally I don't consider it welding at all. I'm not dissing artists but proper welding means human beings can trust their lives to your results and that is NOT part of "Art Welding."

Frosty

Aint that the truth Frosty, LOL. I started welding informaly being taught by my cousin ( a pipe/plate) welder. When I was about 10 . I`am currently get "formal" training at vo. tec. school. This coming up yr I`ll also be taking the maching classes also :):cool:

Ted: You ever try welding with ear plugs in? Man, you don't realize how much you're paying attention to the sound! Drives me nuts trying to weld that way.
It's absolutely important the sound, because is a guide in the way that you are burning the rod. Also the sound of the welder machine. Good point nakedanvil . In my opinion the welding training never ends. Every day can learn some new things

Charlotte: That out by the airport? Up by the lake, eh? Friend lived in Meterie (sp?). Well dang, I missed it, didn't think you "sounded" Nawlins enough.

I'm actually a transplant. I spent half my life in Ohio, Pennsylvaniana, an Tenn. Then time in Red Stick.
Now I'm on the other side of the spillway past the refineries.

I belive a friend of mine, David Mudge, knows you personally. (Magic Hammer forge)

Charlotte: Yeah.... I meant Lake Allemande (sp) ...........yeah........that’s the ticket, 'tuther side of the Huey Long. Down on the bayou. Stayed in a hotel down that way. RIGHT in the industrial area. It was pretty busy down there till oil drilling went in the tank in the 80's.

I had planned to retire there, but Katrina put a dent in those plans. Bet real estate is way down, though.

Yeah, I know Dave, say hey for me.

I couldn't help notice the posts about the pros or cons of proper hearing protection while welding. Having welded in a production setting for 20 + years, welding 8, 10, sometimes 12 hours a day at least 5 and much of the time 6 days a week , I have to say, welding without at least basic ear plugs is insane. The sound of welding can reach levels well over 100 db. There are volumes of information supporting this but here's just a couple: Student Welders and Hazard Analysis There is certainly something to be learned from the sound of a proper weld but if you can't learn it earplugs, there's a good chance you won't learn it without hearing protection. You can still hear what you need to hear wearing earplugs. On the other hand, I worked for several years with a fellow welder that was nearly totally deaf. He was one of the best welders in the shop. Sound of the weld?? He never heard it to begin with. I welded for about the first 2 years without hearing protection until one day my ears were ringing after work so bad they hurt. Never worked another day without earplugs or I too would surely be deaf. Shortly after I started wearing ear plugs voluntarily, it became mandatory as the company became more safety minded. Did I mention? You can hear what you need to hear while wearing proper hearing protection!

Bottom Line: Destroy your hearing with something worthwhile like loud rock music for Pete's sake! ;) LEARN TO WELD WITH PROPER HEARING PROTECTION!! "Noise-induced hearing loss is 100 percent preventable but once acquired, hearing loss is permanent and irreversible." quote from 'Hazard Analysis' link above.

Dodge returns his soapbox to its original upright position and prepares for landing :D

Dodge: "The sound of welding can reach levels well over 100 db."?? What the heck kind of welding are you doin'? I agree many shops can be that noisy, not even unusual in a heavy iron shop. What most (all?) of these guys are dealing with is a little buzz box or 200A MIG welder. I did not and would never argue against ear protection. With the foam plugs I can still hear my weld and certainly could if it was 100 Db! I've personally never used any. Am I insane? My choice. I operated a largish forge shop for 30 years and my welding shop was the quietest area. I (along with everyone in my shop) had audiological testing every year and I never suffered any loss. I could hear the slightest difference in a machine and saved myself ten’s or maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars in maintenance and repairs. But again, that was my choice. My employees had no choice, it was mandated by OSHA.

Without a doubt, people should guard their hearing, as they deem nessassary.

Edited by nakedanvil

Dodge: "The sound of welding can reach levels well over 100 db."?? What the heck kind of welding are you doin'? ...

Without a doubt, people should guard their hearing, as they deem nessassary.

Granted, the home shop may not be as noisy as a production shop but thats why I posted the documentation. I didn't make up the figures. Besides, I'd rather have my foam earplug catch a stray glob of slag than my ear drum ;)

Also bear in mind everyone is not the same. I have known more than one welder that welds without a shield(heavy plate with stick) Have done mig myself. Should everyone try it NOT. Have also known a few shooters 60+ with perfect hearing and a few 18+ that are always saying what? White canes, dual hearing aids are not macho.
Ken