I Forge Iron

Guess I ought to go ahead and quit my day job

Mothrog

Hey Guys :D

First post for me. I've been reading and learning until now

This RR Spike knife thread has me breaking out of my shell ;)

I've still got tears of laughter in my eyes after reading this one.
Figured I owed you an introduction and a Big Thanks for the grin :D

You'll be seeing me around more now

:)

I love it....

.. I meant to list this item for $ 15,000.00 + free shipping but forgot to enter the 1 so since it was my mistake I will go ahead and allow this auction to run its course and maybe this item will be overlooked and I will not have to sell it.

Very humorous really, not have to sell it at $5k LOL ok I am ready for the next joke.

I wish I had known the value of RR spike knives, before I gave so many of them away. I always thought they were just novelty items. I could have bought a nice house. But, I just didn't know the real value of a RR spike.:rolleyes:

Guys! Am I the only one whose capitalist heart fondly recalls the character "Lowell" on the NBC comedy show "Wings"? This greedy dimwit, when asked "How much to fix _______ on my airplane?" invariably responded, "$25,000.00!"

The manager of the airport would laugh, and mockingly ask, "How many people do you think will pay that much for an airplane repair?"

To which Lowell would quietly answer, "All I need...is one."

I raise my mug to a fellow, if overly optimistic, smith, and wish him luck in finding that "one!"

Leland

Guys, a coworker just returned from Ohio. On his way back, he stopped off somewhere in West Virginia. He told me that he saw spike knives there for almost $300. I nearly dropped my teeth! I thought $300 was steep, but now I realize what a bargain it is. :D

Guys, a coworker just returned from Ohio. On his way back, he stopped off somewhere in West Virginia. He told me that he saw spike knives there for almost $300. I nearly dropped my teeth! I thought $300 was steep, but now I realize what a bargain it is. :D

Your coworker probably stopped at Tamarack, which is showcase of juried work from local artisans. I'd bet the spike knives there for $300 made that ebay one look like something from the scrap pile. I've seen some of the work displayed at Tamarack, and met a few of the artisans that wholesale their work to the place. Everything for sale at Tamarack is top-notch work.

(Since seeing that spike knife on eBay, I've thought of offering a kit for making your own, complete with instructions. I'd send them a spike, plans for a forge, instructions for finding an anvil, and links to IFI to see what the finished knife should look like.:D Figure I could sell them at 1/3 the price of a finished knife at that guys prices.:rolleyes: Might be able to retire early if I were to sell enough of them!:P)

It was Tamarack. I couldn't remember the name when I typed up my first post. From the coworker's testimony and yours, I'd love to see some of the work those folks do.

Love your idea for selling the plans!

Is it just me or are those knives not even that good of quality.....they look pretty ragged to me...

It's just you Drako. They were made by a REAL blacksmith who lives in the woods. He has a beard and everything so you know these "blades" are worth every penny I'd pay for one. :rolleyes:

Frosty