I Forge Iron

Corn forge tuyere

Greetings dudes! I have been taking an interest in making a corn forge. I have tried it, and it works well. However, one problem remains: My tuyere is about a one inch diameter pipe and the corn keeps getting inside of it. Any idea on how to stop it? Does it really matter if it goes in? Thanks dudes! Cheers!

Thanks dudes! I think I once saw Glenn make a tuyere and he poked a few holes criss-crossing through the mouth. Should do right? Oh, what about forging leafsprings with corn? Can I get a deep enough bed to work with it? I usually hot cut a piece off and then split it lengthwise and work it from there, but was wondering if corn would heat it up. Thanks again!! Cheers!

I simply welded a couple of 3/8 inch rods across a 3 inch opening to form a grate for the last forge. Lots of air gets through and the rods catch the small coal.

The other grate was 2 pieces of 1/4 inch rod crossed in a 2-1/4 inch pipe. This stood about an inch above the bottom of the pan and ash filled the distance insulating the pan bottom from heat. Both grates worked very will for me.

Heat is a BTU value of the fuel. The amount of air you supply to the fire determines the burn rate and heat out put of the forge.

Can I get a deep enough bed to work with it?
That depends if you can build a deep enough fire and provide an adequate volume and pressure of air blast to allow the full bed of corn to burn. You may have to modify your forge to support a larger 'pile' of corn. Having never used corn or indeed found many detailed reports of its use I cannot provide any useful idea as to what these might be. I suspect you will have to experiment.

Thanks again folks! Thanks for the pics Glenn, that was exactly what I ment. Mind if I borrow your idea? Hehehe. Hey matt87, My forge is a homemade charcoal forge with a bottom feed. I used a few concrete bricks filled with cement. It does hold lots of fuel. Anytips on how to actually light it? I have used corn before, but already had a bed of charcoal going. Corn might prove more difficult to light. Thanks again guys!