I Forge Iron

Cake Kinfe...

andgott

I hate to post this here with all the 'real' knifemakers work :)

My wedding is coming up in about 10 days- So I decided to make something for the ceremony. The hand-forged rings idea had been vetoed LONG ago- So I thought I would try something different- A CAKE KNIFE.

I was at the forge when I thought of the idea, and I didn't have any resources to know what it 'should' look like, I kind of guessed... The blade is a bit more like a kitchen knife than your average cake knife, but it'll still cut cake without a problem :)

It's forged from a single piece of 1/4" x 1" Bar stock, I'm not 100% sure what kind of steel it is, as it was from a scrap pile, but it is a medium carbon of some kind. It holds a decent edge- and though it wouldn't last too long in service as a 'real' kinfe, I think it will be fine for frosting...

The blade is a bit over 12" long. I figure if worst comes to worst, I'll be able to use if for crowd control if anyone hits the wine too hard.

A matching server is on the way, too.

-Andrew

14859.attach

14860.attach

14861.attach

Thanks, all...

And you are implying that this is not a real knife? It cuts the object it was planned to cut so its a knife.

Great job :)

What I meant my that is that I feel like a HUGE part of the art of Knifemaking is the selection of a proper steel, and the heat treating, etc that goes into it. Just about anyone could grind & file a piece of metal until it looks like a knife, and most could even come up with a 'pleasing' shape, too- But that won't make it a good knife!

I do have to say that I am a little proud of a few things on this one- I put some thought into it's construction (since there is no Blueprint on Cake Knives!)- I wanted the handle to be long enough that 2 could hold on to it. I also wanted it to be 'blanced', and not blade or handle heavy. Both worked out pretty well.

That coil of vines under the ginko leaf was drawn out to almost 3' long before I bent & curled it around itself... That was fun :)

-Andrew

andgott good for you, I was going to ask about the handle ginko leaf, but I see you answered that, LOOKS GOOD!

sometimes you have to take what you got to make what you need it, you got aestetics and function well.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...