I Forge Iron

Punch Press Conversion

WRH51

There was some discussion a while ago about building a fly press or a machine that functions like a fly press. There were ideas about cams and/or cranks to accomplish this most of which were shot down. I had posted a question about alternative uses for a punch press for blacksmithing purposes to which many raised safety concerns. Then I had a revelation. Why not modify the punch press to be used manually? Take a look at the video my good friend Matt put together and posted on YouTube. Thanks Matt! This is an Alva Allen 12 ton punch press that I converted to manual operation. The samples shown are all cold forged/formed. The leaf shapes were cut with a shear and then veined on the press. Let me know what you think.

YouTube - OBI press hand power adaptation

i think that is a great use for a old press!! it works just like a flypress ! if you are going to use it for a long time i might come up with a little nicer handle ...much safer than if it was powered ! it may inspire others to try useing those old presses as there are a lot of them around ... good deal!

Thanks for the post. I like the idea of chiseling a straight line cold with it. I just happen to have an old punch press sitting around. Would be great for marking the larger crosses.

Thanks for the comments. You would be surprised at how much it does work like a fly press. You do have a "feel" for the work like a fly press. I think that you would lose this if you made it treadle powered. It takes very little effort to work the press by hand. I would say less effort than swinging a hammer. The required range of motion with your arm is also very short. Also like a fly press, the rotation of the flywheel generates torque in the crank and you get the return or “bounce back”. The only real effort I exert is during the down stroke. During heavy work I actually have hold the handle to keep the flywheel from over rotating backwards to keep the crank from going over top dead center. I have punches and dies also. It will cold punch a 3/8” hole in

A treadle has surprising feel once you get used to it. The one thing that seems less than ideal about a fly press is the need to use one hand to power it. I like being able to use both hands to control the metal is possible.

I have to admit I've only used a fly press a couple times so my opinion falls into the realm of not enough experience with the specific tool to mean a whole lot.

I just see a darned easy to free up another hand without compromising control or performance. Of course it could be completely unnecessary. It wouldn't be the first such mod I've done to a perfectly good tool. ;)

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who has access to a few of these OBI presses (different sizes) and is considering doing the conversion and offering them for sale (If there is enough interest). We believe the price will be very reasonable relative to the cost of a fly press. If you would be interested just shoot me an e-mail or a PM (with your phone #) and I can let him know (he isn't big on computers and e-mail) and he will get back to you by phone to work out the details on size and tooling.

Matt

"doing the conversion"? That would be what? taking off the motor and putting on a C-clamp?

You'll need to look at the clutch and maybe bolt it together tight. Both machines I have need to roll back a long way before the crank turns. In other words: a lotta slop between going down and going up.

i worked at place that had a punch press about that size years ago that i made swages for that worked great for flatting the ends on 1/4 inch cold rolled supports for old military jeep tops but it was safe as long as you ajusted the stroke so it didn't bottom out and bind witch after i left there the owner did and broke the press in half
also worked for an oil pan company that hade a smaller one that they made a manual press like the video we welded the dogs so there was no play in it

Nakedanvil- Watch the video again. There is very little "slop". No more than a flypress anyway. The clutch has been removed and is not welded either. Hence the "conversion" that takes out the "slop" and connects the flywheel and the crankshaft. A little more involved than taking off the motor and putting on a c-clamp.No permanent modifications were made to the unit. In about 30 minutes I can convert back to a fully funcitioning punch press with air clutch should I ever have the need or desire.

• 1 month later...

maybe instead of attaching any kind of fancy self automation to it you could just attach a bar and run it down to a foot pedal... since you're moving your arm so little it shouldn't bother your foot to move that much at all... im not sure on the logistics of exactly how to do it, but hey, it's just an idea

i was thinking a mechansim kinda like a lever... where when you push down on the lever it puls the spring up so when you let go the spring is wat is doing the work to pull the bar down thus turning the wheel so that the press, well, presses.