I Forge Iron

Not so steady a hand.

Your profile says you are a co-op student welder at PennDOT. but you do not say what you need a steady hand in order to accomplish, brain surgery, photography, artistic drawing, etc

For welding robotics will solve the shake problem. For stick welding, I have used a support much like an sign painters support to steady the hand. Many times I have used another welding rod in order to support the rod being burned. Bend the rod, cut it in half or modify the rod in such a way you can better accomplish the tack.

We need more information on what is being done, the process, and details to provide a better answer to your question.

A thousand pardons for my obvious ignorance. let me add to my question. I have been welding since 9th grade shop class. Then I went to Vo-Tech a year then went on co-op as a apprentice welder at PennDOT. Also I have been training for months on how to pipe weld gas line. A very well known and respected man in the pipe welding field has been tutoring me. Monday was my birthday and I just purchased a new Lincoln Electric Ranger 250 and plan to go into a business for my self. That

Welcome to IFI. This is what I do...for the past 36+yrs. There is nothing stating you can't use whatever you need to steady your hand. Lean your other elbow on the pipe as hold the 'working'' hand, brace off. Use a pipe jack, welding rod as Glenn mentioned. I could go on but time and space will stop me.;) Of course there are times when you will need to have a steady hand because you will be using the other to HOLD ON to something to keep from falling! Seriously, one other thing you need to do is probably RELAX, don't grip the stinger too tightly and work on your confidence. KNOWING you are making a good weld will help you relax. Good luck, it has been a good career for me.

Last John Wayne, have you seen a doctor about the cause of your shaking? There is something called Benign Essential Tremor that can cause your hands to shake. It is aggravating but not fatal. I suffer from it and had to give up watercolor and pencil art because of it. It is treatable but only up to a point. Go see your doctor to see if he can help you.

I brace myself whenever I can to steady the bead. In situations where I can't brace myself I drape the lead over my shoulders so there's just enough from the stinger to follow my arm to my shoulder, sometimes I'll take a wrap around my arm with it too.

This does a couple things, most important I don't have a few feet of swinging cable hanging from my stinger. The additional weight on my arm seems to add a little stability too.

For the rest I go ahead and let my normal shakiness show in the weld. When I was burning a LOT of rod you could see my pulse in the bead.

Frosty

Last JW, do not worry. Of course you knew what you were talking about, problem is that we did not. (grin) So WE had to ask questions in order to get on the same page.

Try all the suggestions and see which one works best for you. Photos of your welding stance will help.

I brace myself whenever I can to steady the bead. In situations where I can't brace myself I drape the lead over my shoulders so there's just enough from the stinger to follow my arm to my shoulder, sometimes I'll take a wrap around my arm with it too.

This does a couple things, most important I don't have a few feet of swinging cable hanging from my stinger. The additional weight on my arm seems to add a little stability too.

For the rest I go ahead and let my normal shakiness show in the weld. When I was burning a LOT of rod you could see my pulse in the bead.

Frosty

Agreed. I wrap the stinger around my arm - several wraps (usually 3-4) and plenty of slack. A brace against anything solid will also help.

It's like target shooting - nobody can hold perfectly still due to breathing and pulse so you work a pattern into your shooting stance. FWIW, I make little circles and shoot on the way up when the sights line up. Welding is the same to a degree as it's easier to work with the "shake" and plan accordingly rather than try to eliminate it.

I'm so surprised yet very pleased. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for when I signed up here and I know you guys are legit about your ideas because some of it is a reminder of what my instructor has told me.

I plan to try all these ideas this is more then enough information. But I got a few questions for a few of ya. I don't know if i should do this separately for each person or not but I

When starting a bead, I sometimes hold the stinger in my right hand and hold the rod itself with my left hand. Out of position, this can be very helpful. Naturaly you can only hold the rod for a short time, but it seems to help establish a good puddle. I always try to rest my arm or my elbow on something, even my knee or thigh or side helps. And if possible, I just hold my right hand with my left hand. Good luck with your business.

Set up your work as normal. Position the welding rod as normal just before striking an arc. Now take a spare rod and holding it in your off hand place it against and past the welding rod onto the stock at an angle from the hand to the stock. This puts the spare rod about 3 to 4 fingers high on the hand end and against the stock on the other end. Your welding rod is supported against the spare rod while you strike an arc and start your weld.

As you weld you can move your off hand across the stock, letting the spare rod to pivot where it touches the stock on the other end. When you run out of movement, adjust the spare rod to a new position on the stock.

If you are in a confined area, cut the rod in half. Use the half rod to be closer to the weld. You can bend the welding rod to work around corners etc. Lots of ways to make skinning the cat easier. (Thank Frank Naples for the original tips)

Ayup, I got to where I could spot the regularly spaced ridges in my beads and after first noticing them I started watching closely while I welded and put the two together. We're talking horizontal flat in near perfect conditions of course and running untold hours worth of beads.

I used to be able to do very photogenic brazes when I worked in a shop repairing RV water heaters too. Again, MAS practice.

Frosty

G,dat John, maybe you should lay off the drink mate, on second thorough is, maybe you should have a drink in the morning.

But seriously, I will try to support between my elbow to my chest/back, all depends on the job, I will take any support going. Support and comfort always aids to a better quality weld. But sometimes there is just none at all, and I,m standing there, feet wide apart doing overhead. Even breathing in this position will affect my weld contour, it,s not easy. I don,t hold the rod, as it gets bloody hot!

Edited by horseshoe182

One other thing I found especially when using a portable welder is to get a stinger with a short lighter piece of lead attached with a quick disconnect . Less wieght to drag along and easier to handle . Less wieght equals less fatigue. Then it is all a matter of practice, practice and more practice to get better.

I have never met 2 welders that will wled exactly the same. I am a short arc welder and run hotter then most. Just what works for me.

I forgot about that. I have 10' of lighter gauge cable between the stinger to the lead. We called it a "whip." The downside is if you're welding at high amperage it can get hot faster. Of course all you need to do is hook the stinger to the heavy gauge cable.

Frosty

A word of caution, if I may. Draping the welding lead across your body can be dangerous, leading to a stong chance of electical SHOCK! Especially if you are wet, from sweat or any other means of excess moisture. Can be fatal if it hits ya just right...I personnally don't take the chance. My $.00002 on draping the welding lead.

Kind of a given you keep your leads in good shape. Nothing like accidental arcs to ruin a good project because of a lead with the insulation missing or getting your battery overcharged.

Yeah, I once worked a job where you carried a roll of electical tape in your pocket just for repairing bad spots in the leads...pain. Cheapscape company too. He is out of business now and a good thing too!

Been there done that as well Thomas Dean. He would let a pipeliner sit and think it would run after awhile without repairs. We even got stuck on a job and took batteries apart to repair the center of the distributor cap to get by so we could get home.

Drifter

well the one thing i havent heard from all the welders. when i was working as an apprentice boilermaker we had a guy who had an "extra" finger! took an old glove cut off the third finger stuffed paper into it then taped over his gloved hand. Now this was for his root and hot passes welding tig once he switched to stick i think he leaned against stuff to steedy himself

• 3 weeks later...

I have familial tremors a genetic parkinsonion type shaking similar to essential tremors. you wanna have fun with your hands shaking try being a paramedic for 20+ years starting IV's, and the good news is it's genetic so you watch your Dad get worse and worse through the years (he was a locksmith and he still could drop those little pins in the lock cylinders every time).
Well we finally had a good Doctor with an easy thing that helped us ALOT! just take a B complex vitamins everyday. apparently the B complex vitamins help with fine motor movement and diminishes the fine shaking to almost nothing on most days. in my case this is a pretty big deal so there are still shaky days but thats when you brace the shaker.
I hope this helps!
Steve