I Forge Iron

Not so steady a hand.

B Complex eh? I'm glad there's something simple and non drug that helps. Seeing as I managed to slice the heck out of my finger last thursday a little more motor control might be a good thing.

Thanks for the tip.

Frosty

There was a book put out by J F Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation many years ago called "Arc Welding Instruction For Beginers"
In the book was an exercise to steady the hand and to hold an arc gap.
You take any size washer that is 1/8" thick, set it on a piece of lined "notebook" paper. Place a stick welding rod in the hole of the washer...you push the washer slow and steady in a straight line[follow the lined paper] WITHOUT TOUCHING THE PAPER OR SLIPPING OUT OF THE WASHER AS YOU PUSH IT ALONG.
It sounds childish but is good practice for holding a constant arc length and steadying the hand.

makes sence to me or you could just keep welding stuff lol

the trick of welding is not so much running big beads but making neat ones around small objects in weird places at least if you plan on making all kinds of things and not welding the pipeline

everyone really should have a mig a tig and a stick all processes refine your welding in different ways

• 1 month later...

Just practice, practice, practice. Once you do it enough, it'll come more smoothly to you. And as for being the best, I know exactly what you mean. I strive for better and better everyday in the welding field. I own many books/manuals on welding and am currently working on my 4th year of extensive welding courses (8hrs a day, 5 days a week every week) that work on my skill alone. It's very little in the class room. I study welding day in and day out. I read and rent welding books on my free time. So, I know how difficult it can be but take a number and get in line friend! lol cuz those who ARE and/or WERE the best, once were in our position also striving for greatness. With all this in mind I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors to be the best. I hope that we can share info/tips/tricks/trade secrets with each other.

-Hillbilly

P.S:

lets see some of your welds. I can post some of mine if wanted but I will do it when I can cuz I am away at school and don't always have immediate access to a computer.