I Forge Iron

historic drill bits:

I'm working on getting a couple of online documents together telling the history of common tools we use every day. I'm starting out with drill bits. It seems that documentation for the pump/bow/brace drills are easy to find but the actual shape of the bits tends to be lacking.

If anyone has any photos or references it would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to start with rome and finish up with the invention of the twist bit in 1861.

The auger bit (for wood boring) in a large hand-auger was very common for a LONG time. I find this interesting because one of the hardest things I have ever had to make was a reproduction 3/4" hand auger. It took MANY tries to get it right. Maybe if you had a jig or a machine to help it would be easier. You could cut the threads on the starter and cut the blades with a file, but getting that twist just right is tough!

Here is a link to an interesting article:
The Davistown Museum

Dr. James E. Price of Naylor, Missouri, wrote and published a monograph on the history of braces and bits while a member of the Midwest Tool Collectors Association about ten to fifteen years back. He probably has one of every kind known to man and could tell you everything you would want to know. The Midwest Tool Collector's Association may also have lots of info in their achives and newsletters.

Metal drilling bits---pre twist were often a diamond shape point on a shaft.

I would check Moxon's "Mechanics Exercises" (pub 1703), Diderot's Encyclopedia (late 18th century) and IIRC Richardson's "Practical Blacksmithing had a section on how to make and use them as being faster and cheaper to make than a twist drill when you needed a certain size.

I'd have to look a lot harder to get earlier than Moxon and I'm about to leave on a week long campout with my forge but away from my library.

I had never heard of this - and was surprised that there is no Wikipedia entry on it! I had thought that Wikipedia covered almost everything. Guess not.

You can find a bunch of info about that tool chest and its contents on the Viking Answer Lady's web site. I think the address still is The Viking Answer Lady Webpage but a web search would lead you to it otherwise.

Spoon drill bits are a fun project. They do work very well for wood - if you can get them made up true/even/balanced and keep them sharp. A few years ago I made up versions of most of the wood working tools in that old Viking era tool chest, plus a number of the blacksmithing tools. I even made up several of the forging hammers from just wrought iron without any steel face welded on. They hold up very well in use - if you only hammer HOT iron. But the head does slowly start to swell/mushroom out - which just adds to the historical look of them.

Years ago I picked up the book on those tools from Centaur Forge. And Norm Larson Books also used to carry it. They have good black/white photos of the tools, but also very good detailed drawings, and also measured descriptions. It's one of those good ... reference ... type books to have around for inspiration.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Just remember that wakipedia entries are not always posted by informed people. The same as with our forum, there are clueless posting all sorts of things. But unlike here, not a lot of informed people to correct the myths. Most post with good intent, a few do it just to be noticed. I do use waki, but I make sure and follow up on leads for primary resources.

When I was a kid, I stumbled into collecting drill bits. I'm not sure how. I was a flee market junkie then and used to buy "the whole box" if there was something I needed or wanted in that box. Anyway I went through my collection the other day and took some pictures. I'm not sure if this helps you but it was fun looking in on some old treasures-
Pictures 4 & 5 are some hand made bits
Piture 6 is an early "keyless" chuck, note the patent date of 1806, hard to believe.

14286.attach

14287.attach

14288.attach

14289.attach

14290.attach

14291.attach