I Forge Iron

out of it for 5 weeks now, and 2 more months to come

hi all,
I't been a while since my last post, but i havn't been doing any blacksmithing work , i had a little accident, and broke my wrist, an injury called a scafoid fracture, after 5 weeks cast it is still not healed properly, i have to wear a removable support for an another 4 weeks, and then the doctor will decide... but whats even worse is, that i won't be able to do any blacksmithing work for at least an another 3 months (the pounding of an heavy hammer would be devastating)...
so now i am thinking about trying to blacksmith with my left arm (I have done the same with my day job, but that is more drawing and computer work)... anybody ever done this?
and also, does anybody know of any interesting projects for me to do when i can't smith... things that will help me in my education as a blacksmith? I'm already doing allot of reading.
well ,any suggestions welcome!
kind regards
Johannes

Learning to do things with your "off" hand is always fun. It takes time/experience to do - more than just that occasion hammering when a different angle is needed.

Light sheet metal work is a possibility - either iron, copper, or brass. They work easier, and often can be worked without heating.

Another thought would be WIRE work. As in twisting/bending/twining wire to form objects. It's more ... pressure/grip ... type work, but some light hammering is occasionally needed.

An example from the decorator/curio people: A piece of barbwire bent into the silhouette of a cactus, and then stuck down into a clay flowerpot full of sand/rocks. Yeah, it sounds "cheezy", but a bunch of people luv them - especially in the Southwest. Plus you can get as creative as you want with them. From a simple outline all the way up to a full 3D representation of a cactus.

I made up one "art" project years ago for Easter - where I wove a bunch of barbwire into a ... bird's nest. I then forged up some large chunks of wrought iron into the shape of eggs. I chiseled and fullered in some geometric lines, and worked the wrought iron pretty cold - so that the layers started to separate. It was for an Easter Egg display/competition. I called it HARD BOILED EGGS. But the judges and most of the public just viewed it as scrap iron. They all wanted to see delicately/intricately hand painted eggs! Even the guy with the lathe-turned wooden eggs in a "nest" of planer shavings got more recognition. (And I think he bought those wooden eggs at a crafts store!) Some people saw and loved the iron eggs/nest, but it was a little too far "out of the box" for most. NO, I don't have pics - once again - I didn't even have this junker digital camera back them.

NOTE: Take pics of your work! ALL THE TIME! At least you will then have some pics to show.

So look into some of that ... wire work. Kind of like a lot of jewelry work. There's less shock form hammering, but the techniques and delicacy of the work are still a challenge.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Edited by Mike Ameling

I know how you feel. I had a stroke in Dec of 2008 and my right leg and arm were completely paralyzed. I had to learn to do everything with my left arm and hand. Fortunately, I am gaining back some use of my right side. ( my goal is get enough back to ride my motorcycle again :D ) I can write and type with both hands now ( hunt and peck , I am a software engineer ) and I can manipulate some tools. I just started to do some metal work in my garage again ( a hobby of mine for several years). As a newbie to blacksmithing, I am building a forge and have used my left arm to hammer bends in sheet metal. It's awkward but surprising how you can train your off side to do things. My advice is to learn how to use your left arm and when your right hand heals, you'll be able to do things either way. ;)

Hello,

I know just how you feel, I ripped some ligaments around my elbow early last year, I wasn't back to normal for about six or seven months. YOU MUST NOT TRY WORKING AGAIN TOO SOON! I did and had to rest for another six weeks because of my stupidity.

However, you now have plenty of time to get all of your tools in perfect order, to re-arrange things and to do all of the small jobs you didn't have time for when blacksmithing was the main thing.

If you have access to a grinder and some old / secondhand hammers and chisels, you can re-shape these to make butchers or different hot chisels. I started with an old 4lb (2kg) lump hammer and ended up with a superb 3lb cross pein hammer (now my favourite and most used hammer). If you keep the hammer head in your hands you won't ruin the temper because it will get too hot to hold before any damage is done, but this is slow.

I also bought an old anvil, the face was good but the bick had flattened on the top to anodd shape, so I re-rounded it accurately; again, this was a slow job, but it kept me working with metal and gave me a good anvil at the end.

I also researched for a lot of future projects, made diagrams etc. This has ben a good thing; before I used to rush into a project, now I plan well and work better.

When you do start again, use a much lighter hammer than you usually would! I know its frustrating but its worth it in the long run.

Hope you get better sooner rather than later,

G.

Johannes-
Try working in clay. No, not making pots and such... Use it to give you the "simulated" way of working steel. Chose the size steel you like to work with and form the clay into that size and work it. This will help you with mass manipulation and volume for the desired effect. At a friends insistance, I have begun to do this for pieces I'm working on. Its amazing how much this helps.

As others have said don't push it. Let your body heal!

God speed!

Johannes:

Sorry to hear about your injury. Sometimes healing is a slow process but don't push it, I did and it kept me out of action a lot longer than necessary had I just followed orders.

I'll be getting officially released for work tomorrow after shattering my left arm, including my elbow, September 12/06. It took five surgeries and more than 2 1/2 years, with many months of PT to get me back in action. On the up side I've recovered nearly 100% range and 100% use with no pain so I'm as happy as I can reasonably expect.

I think in your position I'd do a lot of studying of design, plan projects and tools, learn to sketch better, etc. Learning to hammer offhand is a VERY valuable skill, you won't regret it. Sometimes there is just no good angle for using your dominant hand and being able to take a swing with the other is hugely useful.

Most important of all, follow doc's orders, do your PT and do NOT push it . . . very much.

Oh yeah, there IS one more thing you can do, spend more time here, we love to talk. ;)

Frosty

HI Johannes - how frustrating - try not to be too downhearted though. like everyone keeps saying theres lots you can do, I would have a look at silver smithing, as the scale is so much smaller and the strain so much less on your wrist even using the right hand. I have found that working with silver has made my work with steel and my bigger work much neater than it used to be, from having to be more careful. Like Frosty said just now tho - how useful to end up with a really good left hand for smithing, and look at it like this - an injury is the only thing that will force you to hone those skills. You will be quids in later on when youre ambidextrous! good luck!

My sympathy,and i couldn't put it better than Frosty has,in the post above.(All but the computer part:I'm very divided on the issue,and the old saying keeps nagging at my mind(not sure of authorship):"The energy goes out of one's mouth,or,out of one's hands;there's rarely enough for both.")
To add to all the many things already mentioned by all(unless i missed it),i'd say that the engraving and the inlay of non-ferrous metals into ferrous is an amazing range of skills to learn.But,more like 2 lifetimes,than 2 months!And,of course,if you like that sort of thing.But,if you do,then the making of the tooling alone is a fascinating business,and 99% strategy,vs force(as,arguably,all forging,or even maybe all trades!).
The very best wishes,get well soon.Jake.

When trying to switch hands for forgeing remember that the hammer hand is not the brains of the outfit. it has to do a rather mundane task of moving up and down at variable rates of speed and cadence. The tong hand is the key to the total. It must keep the work over the sweet spot of the anvil or bottom tool. It must grasp reliably and turn, twist, and cannot be allowed to drop hot work. It must remove the piece from the forge in one smooth motion and I know I am missing alot of other things. But the point is that is a lot to ask for a healing arm without risking further injury. Listen real close to Frosty. He went there and took a longer trip than he signed on for. Good luck.

Edited by Rich Hale

Sorry to hear about your injury. I have had to give up standing at the forge for some time now so I turned to silver and copper to make up for loss of being able to forge steel. Yes it can be done with either hand and yes you do need some heat to anneal the metal back to workability otherwise it breaks apart. If you work wire bigger the 6 gauge (about 5mm) that will take a fair amount of hammering to change shape but it does make some nice bracelets. Take care of your hand and arm.:cool:

Thank you all for you hartwarming sympathy and good advises...
I spoke to my teacher in farrier school, and luckely i can post phone my final pracktikal exams to nex year. I 'v decided that i'm going to clean up my smithy and improve smoke evacuation on my forge (right now i get complaints from the neihgbours when the wind coms from the wron direction..), also i'm going to make a list with project i wand to do, en dmake the design and research work for them ready in difirent files, also some scrouching for stock will be a good investment... i'm going to try and do some work with my left , but only verry light work, it is as fosty and as Rich said, turning twisting holding firm.... al thing to avoid ... never taught about working silver wire..maybe a good idea to visit an old lady friend of mine who's a jewelery designer...
thanks guy's, i was feelling really down about not beeing abletograduate,and to work the forge... but your kind words and good advise has helped me see things more positive...
I'l keep ya'l informed about the progress, and i'l be posting a tread here soon for my smoke problem, as soon as i can get some pictures to explain the specific situation.

kind regards, and best wishes,
Johannes

Good advice from everyone, dont rush back to forging, the next few months will fly by anyway, now is the time for the things you keep putting off.
Brush up on your welding skills, whichever you are weak on, (except forge welding) ;) drawing, design, the more you do the more things you will think of.
Think Positive, this might be the only opportunity like this for the rest of your working life, hopefully. :D

Greetings. I had some serious health issues a while back. Was off 2 months ( 2 lb weight limit) and then on light duty at day job for quite a while. This was due to infection from a gall bladder surgery. They pretty much field dressed me and ran a hose through my abdomen. Took 2 years min to get my abdominal strength back. Then about 5 years ago I had an industrial lift truck accident breaking collar bone, elbow and ring finger on tong side (left). All takes time yes. Much time. PT and fanny time thinking about what can be done. Rich is right on the brains of the deal. I'm not terminally right handed but doing precise hammer work with left hand is a treat. When tong side was injured I held the arm to the body and used more complete body to move stock. Yeah I overdid it a few times. Take care to go easy (which ain't easy for me). I have a friend that smiths some with me at rondys that has had some health issues. Perhaps he'll post.

I know what you mean Reid, every time I tried doing things left handed it ended quickly in frustrated laughter.

That's the difference though when you have no choice you don't give up quickly. Learning to work offhand is actually a lot easier than it appears from having made a few "for funsies" attempts.

That was my experience anyway.

Frosty

I hurt my right shoulder at work, tried to work backwards... ie hammer in left tongs in right... its hard, but worth it. Shoulder healed after a while... but you will look silly trying to work on your off side.. I know I did, My wife told me...

Listen to your doctor, they don't always know best (99% they do!!) , but listen to them, and ask what sort of things you can do!! My Dad works in his Blacksmith shop, and cuts lumber for his rehab, and his doctor approves of it fully!

Good luck, and quick healing