I Forge Iron

Shop Talk. I have a delema. Kinda long

3rd party monitoring? It comes into effect when you want to sell excess power you are generating on site back to the formal power company through their power lines. All of your equipment, and the type of electricity you generate must be compatible to their equipment and line current. So private installations need to be checked out initially before they can be connected, and then monitored occasionally to see that everything is up to correct standards.

Those little "box" or cube generators are OK for some uses. But you can quickly exceed their capacity. I would suggest that you go talk to one of the local farm implement dealers near you. Specifically ask him about the back-up generators that you hook up to the PTO of a tractor. Those things kick out more "juice" by far than those little "box" generators. All the big farms around here have them for when the power goes out - do to storms. And the run their whole operation and home from them - large animal feeding systems, well pump, grain handling equipment, and whole household.

When the first responders and fire department around here need electric power at a site, they try to get a neighboring farmer to come over with his tractor and generator. Then there are no problems running electrical pumps, saws, drills, and those porta-power units.

And those farm generators do not need to be run with a tractor. You could pick up a junker mini-car with good engine and adapt the drive shaft from it to run the generator. But talk with the people at the local farm dealership. They will have all the specs and requirements to run them - including power output.

Or search for some large construction company selling out older equipment. Sometimes you can get a good deal on one of their large trailer generator units. It may be enough to run all your power-hungry equipment.

As to simple lights/radio/fridge power, a quick simple all-weather "drop cord" run down from the house can handle that. Put a plug-in on each end of some electrical wire designed to be buried, and string it down. Just watch the temptation to draw too much juice through it.

Just a few possibilities to ponder.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

In commercial construction, we occasionally salvage backup generators in renovations and tenant upgrades/fitups. One one job, we just handed a 15 kv generator over to the electrical contractor as part of the job.

In hindsite, I should have kept it, but we have an excellent relationship with this particular subrade.

Just to clearify the "California" version of 3rd party monitoring for solar. Its a phone line connected to your PV inverter that tells the utility how and when you use and generate power. It opperates 24/7. From what I understand, "smart meters" are going to be a result of this technology. That will allow the utility or who ever to control your power usage and generation.... To much like big brother for me.
All good ideas mike-
I've got an old junker dump truck with a 350 in it... Engine runs but the truck has no brakes or the hope of ever having them... Good Hydrolic pump and ram too... Hmmm?
I'm prety much convinced I'm going with a generator. So, now I'm thnking why mot run the compressor off the same engine with a clutch drive activated by the pressure switch.

This weekend I will be going to an auction to bid on some "overstock" gen sets. Can't tell how big they but I'm hopefull... Wish me luck:)

Too many people overlook an old vehicle as a potential power unit. It already has all the framework, motor mounts, clutch/tranny, wiring, and fuel tank. You can run directly off of the universal joint where the drive shaft attaches. Or you can work your equipment off of each hub of the drive train. And if the rpm's are too high, just add in an additional gear box after the existing one. That can really reduce the final rpm's.

Plus the engine already has a 12 volt alternator on it. Use it as-is to charge the battery and run some lights/radio, or carefully "tweak" the output up as needed. You can even add an additional alternator if needed. With one of those auto parts store Inverters, you can get normal 110 power right from it.

With one hub running your generator, and the other running your compressor, (with appropriate switches and clutches) you would have your shop "power". And a 110 inverter running off of the battery would give you normal lights/radio/drill/bench grinder power.

Some of the smaller car engines actually run pretty economically. And they could be tweaked to run on home-produced fuel.

Possibilities ...

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Well, as it turns out I am now the new owner of a "Lister Diesel" 15KW Gen set. Its an oldy and I'm hoping a goody:D

I pick it up Monday and I will be doing some TLC as it is used.

If anyone is interested, I will continue this thread or start a new one for a production shop running on off grid power. From my understanding, I will be able to run this thing on waste vegi oil after it has reached opperating temps.

This gen set IS old(er) school as it was built in the 70's and runs at 1800 RPMs

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas...

Hey Fe-Wood, Old(er) from the 70s? That was a half a lifetime ago.
I admire the fact you can and will live off the grid. Here in the WNC
mtn's I have gen pwr for the house and shop for those times. Aint the pwr co's great. Have 3phase on the pole 50ft from my meter they want $3500+ to hook me up
Ken

Yup, The power co priced themselve right out of my market. Something about paying through the nose to give someone the privilage of submitting me a bill every month. Sure, this will be more maintinance and possible headache than a grid tied system but at least when my neaghbors are sitting I the dark, I won't be! I do have a back up generator too....

As far as my "basic" calks go, I'm about even with the power co in KW production/use cost.

Dragons lair-
At least they gave you a $ amount. Mine gave me a range between $5,000.00 & $10,000.00 stressing closer to 10K for 250 feet!!! on second thought- seems about on par with your quote... Just to high!!!!

I suggest you contact Jim Wester at North Bay Forge
He has a complete knife/tool making shop that is totally of the grid.

He runs a 40# air hammer, compressor, hyd. press and welder off a diesel generator. He built a small scale line shaft system to run all the other stationary tools. Quite an ingenious set up, not very efficient, but he lives on a small island where no grid power is available. He's been doing it for years with some success. I know he is looking into acquiring a fly press for the versatility and no power requirement.

Your 100# LG was designed to run on a 3 hp motor although 5 hp is marginally better.

My full time shop runs off a 90 amp breaker in the main service panel in my house which feeds a sub panel 150' away in the shop. I run 3 mechanical hammers up to 200#, 350 amp inverter welders , plasma cutter, grinders, bandsaws, 50 T ironworker,compressor, lathe etc, etc, etc, all single phase, with no problem for the past 15 years.
The wiring in the shop was done by a licensed electrical contractor and inspected by the state.

The point is that you can realistically get away with less power than you might think.

Well I got my gen set home today.... It didn't start when I was inspecting it at the auction so I was a little Concerned:rolleyes:

Got it in the shop, hooked it up to the truck so I could jump start it and began to fiddle... I figured the fuel pump was bad so I began there. OK, It pumps fuel, good!! Now, I bleed out the system and try starting again... Ahh, smoke:) ok, it was a fuel issue... Fiddle some more. Try to start again. I got one cylender to fire:)

Now is when I realy begin to like this engine. It is simple, simple, simple!

I open the bleaders for the injectors while it is running on the one cylender and low and behold, #2 starts to fire, so I try #3 and it fires off too!!!

While I have the insection/cover plates off, I look at the overall condition and muck buildup... Basicly, there isn't any to speek of! AND the oil is clean!!! Running about 40 PSI (last service was October of '05) I'm beginning to think this thing has seen little use in the last several years...

After adjusting the valves and RPM's so it produces about 120 Volts, this little gem purrs like a kitten.

Hi Fewood. There was a board meeting a few years ago at Bill Sorich's place in the South Bay foothills. It is solar, off-grid, and he runs a pullmax, power hammers and arc welders. He is a good guy, and you should be able to find contact info in one of the old CBA magazines.

fe-wood my job is the repair and care taking of wind turbines that produce amazing amounts of energy here in southern california if you decide to go with an allternative energy the utility seems to be pretty accomidating these little 15-20 kw machines are poping up all over out here and ive heard nothing but good things about them and im pretty sure you can find and install up to 75 kw machines that are three phase 480v that could power three homes if the area has winds to run em on. I dont know how much you are willing to spend for a long term sollution like that but its something to look into.

Thanks tantrum-
I've looked at wind power a little bit but I don't think we get enough consistant wind to make it a viable solution. Typicaly in the summer, we get a gentle breeze - 1-2 miles per hour. Storms are another story though. We do however have tons -o- sun. I have installed a Diesel Generator as a temperary solution but after only a week with this bigger and queiter machine I'm tired of the noise.