I Forge Iron

i think im retarded

so i have a HF hammer (problem #1) and last night i was just messing around and trying to cold forge (problem #2) a leaf, i got a little mad at the slow progress and hit the leaf pretty hard (problem #3). my hammer leterally broke in half and landed on my foot... not the handle mind you, but the HAMMER :mad::confused::mad::confused:... so my advice is: don't combine cold forging with HF hammers

so i have a HF hammer (problem #1) and last night i was just messing around and trying to cold forge (problem #2) a leaf, i got a little mad at the slow progress and hit the leaf pretty hard (problem #3). my hammer leterally broke in half and landed on my foot... not the handle mind you, but the HAMMER :mad::confused::mad::confused:... so my advice is: don't combine cold forging with HF hammers

Cold forging is not a bad thing. Cold forging past the point at which the metal wants to move is a bad thing. Cold forged metal needs to stress relived every so often because the crystals are getting over stressed. Annealing cold worked metals, if they need more work, is a good thing

HF is not a bad thing unless you expect to serious use out off it. Take the chips back to them for a refund. Go to Sears and buy one of their blacksmith hammers. Not expecting High performance out of Low performance materials is good thing.

Getting frustrated and hitting harder is a bad thing. Stopping and working on something else like a a cold drink or cleaning up around the anvil is a good thing.

Got it?

As cheap as their hammers I I would save the pieces and mount them on your wall of shame!

I have a collection of anvils on my wall of shame including one where the base broke off from the top half---the weight stamps are on the base so I know it once was a complete anvil.

I agree with Charlotte. I have a Craftsman crosspean and it has lasted very well these many years. However, my preference is a Hofi hammer, and sometimes a Swedish hammer. But for cheap, you can't beat a crosspean from Sears.

.... Go to Sears and buy one of their blacksmith hammers. ......

Getting frustrated and hitting harder is a bad thing. Stopping and working on something else like a a cold drink or cleaning up around the anvil is a good thing.

Got it?

Doggonit Charlotte I'm getting to like you better all the time. :)

There is no merit to taking your frustrations :mad: out on your tools, especially the cheap ones.

Frosty