I Forge Iron

got a new leg vice but?????

grimcat27

Ok I got a new post vice this morning for only $60 in good shape for the most part but the spring doesn't work. It's made from an old file. other then that and some miner rust and the leg is bent some its in almost new shape. I will have pics up in the next day or two. :D

The spring does not have to be anything fancy, a small trailer spring will work. How bad is the leg bent? Grimcat, if you post your location by changing your CP at the top of the screen, there may be someone near you with a spring or advice.

Matt87, microwaves are easier to buy new than fix, they are pretty much disposable these days.

Depending on the size of the vise, people have made new springs out of both mild steel and old flat springs. If you have an appropriate sized section of mild steel you could give that a try, and it is likely to work.

A spring for a leg vise has a slight curve and ears forged at the top corners to hold it in place.

Matt87, microwaves are easier to buy new than fix, they are pretty much disposable these days.

My microwave is fine, or will be until I fill it with coal! My point was that there are any number of faults with a vice spring -- it may have taken a set, broken, the mounting broken etc.

hi grimcat, nice vice.

I may be stating the obvious here but the spring is held in place by the mounting bracket - I notice this isnt fitted with the wedge in the photos so everything is loose, which could be why it isn't working.

Also I am wondering, how free the pivot at the bottom is? The springs are only there to open the jaws and dont need to be that strong. On my big vice it is very easy to close the jaws by hand - however on my smaller one the spring is stronger but still easy.

Sorry if Im stating the obvious - Im half expecting you to tell me you took the wedge out so that you can replace the bad spring.

Bob

That was a nice link on vise rebuild. When I bought mine in the early Iron Age it was lacking a spring also, so I just used a valve spring out of a Chevy 350 engine and stuck it in the bottom at the hinge point. I know it's not very blacksmith like but it has worked for a fair long while now.:cool:

Also,

what makes you think it is an old file??

I had another look at the the photos - there are what looks like two dimples one above the other but slightly offset. Similar dimples occur on both my vices in various places, which would suggest it is an original part.

Also on my vices there are some marks that look like the surface of a file, but must be marks made by the jaws of another vice or grips etc during manufacture.

A small leaf spring is going to be nice and strong. Use the old spring to get approximately the dimensions and forge you a new one! Ive got a 150 year old vice in my shop. It was UGLY when I got it. I got it for a steal because the dude thought it was junk. I looked at the screw(it was pretty nice) and knew I could do something with it. Took it home. Some moron chiseled/chipped a hunk out of the jaws at some point. I welded in a bit and ground them flush, straightened the handle that was bent 45 degrees and forged a new spring for it. It is as good as it was a hundred years ago when it sat in someone else's shop.