I Forge Iron

Forge in the grass!

Jaret

Wouldnt luck have it. Wondering around an old farm yard the other day and found a steel sticking out of the grass. Pulling it out and its an old Vulcan coal forge made in Ontario. It has a round thing you spin at the base of the forge that you spin 180degrees and it opens the port a different size. No cranks fan though, but still, pretty darn cool.

I will post pics once i clean it all up. Im pretty excited. There was also a few other things i will go back for eventually, but the forge was the main artifact to pull from there.

Peace

J.

Amazing, the stuff you run across. I was talking to a guy yesterday who told me a story of a hunting trip to Montana several years ago. Seems in the exact geographical center of nowhere, there's a group of abandoned buildings beside the road. One of those buildings has what sounds like a 300lb or so anvil sitting in it. Why couldn't that have been me?

There's a fine line between theft and salvage in a case like that. It's salvage if you don't get caught, theft if you do.

Thomas Dean's metal detector idea has merit. I don't have a detector, but I guarantee I would have scoured the area throughly . Tongs, busted hammers, punches, chisels, bolsters....no telling what could have been tossed aside in the past as useless junk.

Also, any standing structures - sheds and barns - often hold little gifts quietly stashed up in the rafters.

I will be doing a lot of scouring this summer as soon as I get a truck. Lots of old homesteads around here. The way it went was you forged your own tools and so on back then, because things weren't so readily available.

My uncle was telling me about a treadle hammer or something like that around our old town laying outside. I am definitely on the hunt for this unit.

I will be doing a lot of scouring this summer as soon as I get a truck. Lots of old homesteads around here. The way it went was you forged your own tools and so on back then, because things weren't so readily available.

My uncle was telling me about a treadle hammer or something like that around our old town laying outside. I am definitely on the hunt for this unit.

I'm always watching for these old farmyards in my area as well. A lot of the old collpased sheds hold some treasures.